Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Today's new bike

Following with interest...

I have a CdF that I've had for 6 years, it's an absolute workhorse for commuting 18 miles a day, razzing down the canal etc. and I have also toured the Outer Hebrides, Iceland and Patagonia on it and become quite attached. After 5 winters of commuting I've just had the frame blasted and re-enameled and it's good as new. Reynolds tubing really is amazing!

For the last couple of years I've also had a Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 disc, and it's opened up a whole new world of opportunities, suddenly all of the local bridleways can be explored, it's unbelievably faster, lighter and more responsive than my CdF, and bike packing has become even more fun than touring with a trip round the Southern Uplands last December and a trip across Mid Wales planned for a few weeks time. I've even thrown myself round the red route at Dalby on it, and more and more often my CdF is finding itself left in the cellar.

A quick switch of tyres and there's not much you can't throw a CX bike at. Admittedly I haven't tried a gravel bike, and have done all of my bike packing and gravel riding on my CX, but I'm not convinced there's really a gap in the market for them to fill. Sure, the geometry might be a bit more comfortable, but my CX really isn't that uncomfortable, and I'm not sure I'd be willing to sacrifice it's handling for a bit more comfort.

All that said I'm getting drawn to rougher and rougher riding, and keep finding myself looking at the Soul on Cotic's website getting tempted. Then I think how much fun I already have on my CX and quickly close the web page. Anyone on here got a Cotic Soul and willing to persuade/dissuade me?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWoodman View Post
    Following with interest...

........ Anyone on here got a Cotic Soul and willing to persuade/dissuade me?
    James, I thoroughly enjoyed all of your post .........................as for that last query try a PM to 'Bob' (Bob Wightman) of this parish who posts on various threads in the 'Bob Graham' folder; he's a big Cotic fan ( I am not sure which model he owns) and runs a 1x10 drive train.

You mention having your CdF re-enamelled; did you not consider powder coating - so cheap & so tough - a local engineering firm blasted & powder coated my fixie for £45.

Ian.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 14-11-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Thanks Ian, I'll ping Bob a message at some point.

Yes I looked at enamel vs. powder and durability. In the end my frame ended up in with Woodrups to have the forks straightened (thanks Easyjet), and they'll only enamel and won't touch powder. I trusted their judgement and don't regret it at all (was still only ~ £100). The finish is far superior to the original paintwork, I'm sure I'll get more than another 5 years commuting out of it before it starts bubbling again, and I think an enamel finish is probably more in keeping with a decent steel frame.

Ah, the old 'bikes v baggage handlers' issue ...... imagine if you'd taken the Crosslight on that trip, with its carbon fibre forks?
    A couple of Bowland clubmates are currently in Andalucia doing day rides from a central venue, on their 'best' carbon bikes but they've hired pukka cycle transport boxes from the local tri club ....... obviously not an option if you're on a linear route, using two different airports.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 15-11-2018 at 12:44 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Been looking around and whilst I was thinking of just updating my Cube Attain race road bike to the carbon frame and disc brake version, (GTC Race disc)
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/bikes/ro...eyngreen-2018/

I've come across these 2 Lapierre bikes at a pretty good price. Not a huge amount of difference between them but liking the pricier of the two (obviously!)
    Xelius SL 500 Disc
    https://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gam...-sl-500-disc-0

and Sensium 500 disc.
    https://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gam...ium-500-disc-2

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has any of these or could recommend anything similar.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Been looking around and whilst I was thinking of just updating my Cube Attain race road bike to the carbon frame and disc brake version, (GTC Race disc)
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/bikes/ro...eyngreen-2018/

I've come across these 2 Lapierre bikes at a pretty good price. Not a huge amount of difference between them but liking the pricier of the two (obviously!)
    Xelius SL 500 Disc
    https://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gam...-sl-500-disc-0

and Sensium 500 disc.
    https://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gam...ium-500-disc-2

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has any of these or could recommend anything similar.
    Pete, from among those 3, I would only consider the Cube or the Xelius ...... they both use 'through axles' which is now considered as de-rigeur for carbon fibre framed bikes with disc brakes ..... seemingly all about retaining the axles (hence wheels) within the drops-outs / frame whilst coping with frame flex under vigorous braking. It's been embraced by all the pro-peleton teams in the grand tours.
    The Sensium , although disc braked, only uses traditional quick release axles.
    Alternatively, have you investigated what offers Wheelbase (Staveley, Cumbria) have on similar spec Focus bikes?
    Focus' patented through axles (R.A.T - rapid axle technology) are unique and do not use a thread on the end of the axle. A mate of mine has a Focus CX bike with R.A.T. which he rode in this year's 3 Peaks Race.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 16-11-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Cheers WD. Have to agree with you regarding the through axels. The sensium was purely an aesthetic and cost choice.
    Popped into Evans while I was in Birmingham this afternoon and whilst my head was turned by a BMC in their black Friday promotion, there were too many concerns to outweigh what was in other respects an absolute bargain. It was also a useful trip as I also confirmed my suspicions in regard a specialized roubaix elite which was also in the mix until recently.
    Had a test ride on the Xelius later this afternoon and was very, very impressed. The only concern was on the gearing. The xelius is a 56-36 with an 11-28. I currently have 50-34 with 11-34 and as I tend to do a lot of hills, I like the option of that granny gear if I run out of gas. I hardly ever get down below the 26 but it is nice to know it's there. Anyway bike shop offering me a free change to 11-32 so I'll sleep on it but looks like it's probably a done deal.

Re Cotic Souls, I used to have one. Never really liked it tbh, but I do get the impression I’m in a minority. Friend of mine now has 3 Cotics. Solaris, Solaris Max, and the new Titanium Soda. Suffice to say he absolutely loves them.
    pies

Any Jones H Bar users here?

Been thinking about running one on the rigid plus bike.
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Any Jones H Bar users here?

Been thinking about running one on the rigid plus bike.
    Funny you should raise that topic, Shaun.

Leigh Craigie is a big fan, for her ultra-distance exploits on her Shand Bahookie.

It would be one method of fitting a SRam 500% 1x12 drivetrain to a gravel bike - using the MTB 'thumb shifters'