Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovering from Ultras

Recovering from Ultras

Other than stretching, resting, fluids and possibly massage are there any other methods for hastening recovery between long events ?

Myself and 2 colleagues (all HM Forces personnel) are running 5 Ultras over the period 31 March to 23 June. This is roughly the period over which the Falklands Campaign was fought 25 years ago. We are raising funds for the chairty Combat Stress which provides ex-service personnel with treatment for mental injuries sustained during combat.

To raise the profile a little 3 of our races form the "Triple Crown" (Fling, Devil and full race along the West Highland Way), this involves doing a 42 miler on 9 June and a 95 miler on 23 June. We are getting lots of comment on why we should not attempt this, but little comment on how to maximise our chances.
    We are doing decent training, and basically intend to do very little in between these last 2 races to maximise recovery. Does anybody have any tips ? Thanks.
    More detail on our endeavour can be found here... www.justgiving.com/whwrace07

Re: Recovering from Ultras

phew.........cut out the booze, but there again it might be the only way to get through it? sounds like a great cause
    I'm having an old friend for dinner

Well done for trying the triple crown. I'm doing the Highland Fling and the WHW, I've done the Devil O The Highlands previously, but decided it was too close to the WHW.

When I did the WHW last time I did 3 ultras in 2 months, which I found harsh, especially as I didn't really recover from the WHW, the first race.

The main thing is getting the food in during the events and runing the events sensibly (well as sensible as you can run 96 miles), so you finish in the best possible shape, so really your recovery starts the moment you start the ultra. I generally take a few days off, then do light jogging.

If I eat well on route, and run off road, I can run 40 odd miles and be back running straight away. Generally after a 40 odd miler I don't even take a day off, but just a steady 5 k the next day, then back training.

Good luck. I do hope the move the DOTH back to August though.

Oh forgot to say, if possible try some sort of ice bath. I just lie in the nearest river, for a few minutes after the race, makes a massive difference to your recovery.

Wow , good luck to you and your mates, good cause.
    Someone said they'd use a hard brush on their muscles and it'd worked , i tried it on Saturday and no DOMS next day or day after at all.
    The only other thing which u may well have looked at is the use of 'skins' , these are really meant to work.
    But rest , rest and more of the same. Tim Noakes 'Lore of running' is good reading , if a little wordy. Also i've found these useful movinshoes.com ultrunr.com and extremeultrarunning.com
    Good Luck , You CAN do it.

Alf: what is 'skins' please?
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Have you thought about a lobotomy?

I think Iain has covered it all, I would just add: Run within your comfort zone and don't get dragged into anything competative. If someone passes you, let them go, you are not racing. Use your brain and don't hurry things, stop at checkpoints, eat, fill up with water and compose yourselves - 10 minutes is nothing and you are not racing.
    Remember at all times what your ultimate goal is, and don't forget it or be sidetracked. Cover the ground as slow and comfortably as is possible within the time limits.

If all goes well, come back next year and race
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I swear by the old hard brush on the legs. Works a treat ! Glad to see it worked for you too Alf !!!

After the High Peak last year I was off it for about 3 months. All because I didnt fuel myself round right. I'd agree with everything IainR has said, I was told by a mate that it is never too early to start eating on these long runs. Estimates are hard to establish for each individual but you can probably work on between 100 and 120 calories used per mile, Keep that in mind and at least try and put half of your hourly usage back in as you go !!

Great cause by the way and I wish you the best of luck.
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    I swear by the old hard brush on the legs. Works a treat !
    Never heard of the brush?

What sort of Brush is it? As in a dust pan and brush or a stiff wirey yard brush?

The cold water trick works well, but I just don't have the guts for it in winter or really anytime out of high summer. So the brush may be a handy alternative.

I tend to eat something at least every 45 minutes, aim for 30. I've stopped carbo loading so much now as when I used to set off full I didn't eat for ages as I was sick of food, and would then be in trouble. Leppins, I think now named squeezy gels, and then more substantial food such as flapjack, sandwhiches, muesli bars and anything else I fancy. Flat coke is great if I do go too low.