Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EA rules?

EA rules?

Wondered if any of our rules experts could help with this one.

We have a 14 year old who is first claim with a fell club but has come along to us for some track and non fell experience. The plan was for him to run in our team at the junior road relays, but EA have prohibited this.

Apparently the fell club are affiliated for road, presumably so that seniors don't have to pay non affiliated entry fees.

To run for us he would have to resign from his fell club and join us. To compound this apparently even juniors now have to claim hardship.

The fell club have never entered junior road relays yet he is banned from running.

What a stupid set of rules that affect this young lad who is doing the right thing by having a go at a variety of athletic disciplines.

Is the ruling correct?

Master

Re: EA rules?

No that is incorrect.

You may run for your second claim club as long as no other members of your first claimclub are in attendance. Thats the way ive always done it between Trafford and my fell club
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    No that is incorrect.

You may run for your second claim club as long as no other members of your first claimclub are in attendance. Thats the way ive always done it between Trafford and my fell club
    That's not correct either!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    That's not correct either!
    Im pretty sure it is. Thats what i was told by EA

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    We have a 14 year old who is first claim with a fell club but has come along to us for some track and non fell experience.

Is the ruling correct?
    Rule 5 (2) allows Under 15 athletes to change Club once without penalty.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    No that is incorrect.

That's wrong Tom - I don't now who are your clubs 100% but assuming CVFR is your first claim club, then you run for them in all displines that they are affiliated to - which I assume is Fell - and poss XC and road - but unlikley track.
    That leaves you free to run on track for Trafford.

Andi Jones has a similar arrangement as do many others.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    That's wrong Tom - I don't now who are your clubs 100% but assuming CVFR is your first claim club, then you run for them in all displines that they are affiliated to - which I assume is Fell - and poss XC and road - but unlikley track.
    That leaves you free to run on track for Trafford.

Andi Jones has a similar arrangement as do many others.
    Just Fell WP if your interested.
    n

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    Wondered if any of our rules experts could help with this one.

We have a 14 year old who is first claim with a fell club but has come along to us for some track and non fell experience. The plan was for him to run in our team at the junior road relays, but EA have prohibited this.

Apparently the fell club are affiliated for road, presumably so that seniors don't have to pay non affiliated entry fees.

To run for us he would have to resign from his fell club and join us. To compound this apparently even juniors now have to claim hardship.

The fell club have never entered junior road relays yet he is banned from running.

What a stupid set of rules that affect this young lad who is doing the right thing by having a go at a variety of athletic disciplines.

Is the ruling correct?
    Wycoller - some of what you say is true and some not.

As a 14 year old , they are U15 and so have no hardship - no ban to serve.

However, they do have to put in a written resignation to their old club and then they join yours, and are free to compete from the 1st of the following month - which would be 1st October if processed this month.

The athlete has to make a decision really - does he want to stay 1st claim at his current club - in which case he can only compete for you in disciplines in which his club are not affiliated.

or

Does he want to join you as first claim, and then he can rejoin his old club to compete for them in disciplines that you are not affiliated to.
    But if you are affiliated to all discplines, then he effectively couldn't run for his old club in any event as a team counter.

On a related issue, this highlights the responsibility that clubs must carry when affiliating annually for their "disciplines".

By affiliating for a discipline that you cannot support as a club, you are almost pushing away athletes who may want some involvement in that area.

A good example that I am aware of on the fells are Bowland. They only support fell running (I think they withdrew from XC a couple of years ago) and so all their first claim members are free to then join another club if they want to do some road, track or XC.
    Salford Harrier similarly don't support Track and Field and many of their members compete for other clubs on the track.

Athletes can quite happily have a "loyalty" to more than one club, but I think sometimes clubs wrongly get possessive and use the affiliation mechanism to try and keep their athletes, but ultimately it can lose them.

Master

Witton Park is the font of all knowledge on things EA affiliated can we get your status changed to divine authority or something along those lines