Thread: Wesh 3000's

Master

Wesh 3000's

I am doing this next weekend (26th) and have seen very little on this forum about this as a challenge. I am wondering if there is any info on schedules etc as there are for BG and PB etc.
    Does any one know what times would be exoected summit to summit for a traverse at BG 23/24 hour pace, and could you expect to go quicker over this give the shorter distance involved?

Also any one got any advice on route choice after crib Goch I have heard two variations, either go down North ridge into the pass or reverse the ridge and descend somewhere after the pinnacles more directly to Nant Peris

Also do you do Yr Elen before carnedd Llewelyn or after? and is there a trod out to Y.E after top of black ladders?

Re: Wesh 3000's

The book you want is "Welsh Three Thousand Foot Challenges" ISBN 0951599666 There's a full description of the route and route choices in there.

As to your questions:

Crib Goch - take the N ridge then cut down R (into upper Cwm Glas) and follow a stream down

Yr Elen - do it first, there's a trod just after the col beyond the Black Ladders. There's a water spring on this trod.
    Last edited by Bob; 18-09-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Master

thanks Bob, much appreciated

Do you have no confidence in us

Matt has that book, and we were discussing the route at lunch time - particularly Crib Goch, Tryfan - Pen Yr Ole Wen and when to collect Yr Elen/Carnedd Llewelyn. Also Matt has done it before and says he knows where he's going around there.

There an 8 hour 25 schedule in the book that we planning to use as a rough guide, but we take it as it comes. We're doing it together, no running off and leaving anyone behind, stopping to enjoy views etc if the weather permits, picking up food/drink at Idwal Cottage on the way. As long as we get back before the pubs close all is good

We were thinking to going back to Bwlch Goch though rather than taking the north ridge of Crib Goch, it's the way Colin Donnelly went on his record breaking run.

With regards to timings, a friend and I ran the 3000's as training for the Buckley.

We did it in 6hr25min, having taken Yr Elen and Carnedd Llewelyn in the wrong order and decended off the north ridge of Crib Goch. Recon it would have maybe been 6hr 15 if we'd have gone the quicker route.
    His Buckley time was 22hr50 and mine was 23hr17.

Fairly obvious trod under C LL > yr Elen. It leaves just a few yards before the climb o C Ll. Then come back for C LL.

I reckon comfortably 6-7 hrs, peak to peak, 1 hr Summit > Nant Peris (via Bwlch Coch), 3 hrs for the Glyders, 3 hrs for the Carneddau, rough splits. If you still have running in your legs by the Carneddau you can get that section done in not much over 2 hrs.

From Bwlch Coch I just aim for the tree on the island and down the outflow then hit the path and down that.

Other main bit is getting the Tryfan descent gully, pretty obvious though.

Then Ogwen or Glandana? Not sure there is that much time difference, but it seems GD is quicker, I think all records have seemingly used GD over Ogwen.

Then do YE before C LL, the trod is easy to locate and better than a direct traverse YE > FG.