Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Everest Marathon 2009

Everest Marathon 2009

It is coming to the crunch now, as the Everest Marathon 2009 is rapidly approaching!

I am running this race, in my opinion the 'fell' race of all fell races, on 4 December this year.

It is going to be a toughy, starting at Gorak Shep, old Everest Basecamp, at 5200 metres, running 26.2 miles of mainly downhill with a couple of sharp ascents, on rocky, narrow trails to Namche Bazar... Temperatures at the start can be as low as -20 centigrade!

And what is that 'crunch' I can see you wonder? As I know that I am not the first forum member to run this race? Well the crunch is that I am running this race to raise awareness for a friend's environmental charity called the Glacier Trust.
    Communities living at high altitudes in the Himalayas frequently face disaster as a result of climate change. The Glacier Trust provides financial support and expertise for grassroots Non Governmental Organisations working in these high environments, enabling communities to adapt and share their solutions.

Please visit the website for information and the option to donate to this valid charity: http://www.theglaciertrust.org/

The people who organise Everest Marathon donate all the surplus money after the race to their own Everest Marathon Fund. Another charity that supports small scale organisations that work with the people and environment of Nepal. I have set up a justgiving page for them: http://www.justgiving.com/HannekerunsEverest/

So there we are: please support me in my endeavours to raise awareness and funds to these valid organisations!

Thank you
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Re: Everest Marathon 2009

Hi Hanneke,
    Wow, amazing for you to be running this marathon. It is the most fantastic place in the world. I went trekking in Nepal and Tibet in 2003 for one month and spent 3 nights at base camp (north side).
    It was my holiday of a lifetime made extra special by all the wonderful people and sherpas of Nepal. I would love to go back one day, I totally fell in love with the place.
    I'm sure you will have a fantastic time and it would be great to see some pictures on your return. I am totally jealous!
    Just popping off to your just giving site now....it is such a good cause, well done!
    All the best for your trip x
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Thank you so much for your generosity MG

I am very excited to be going. I have been to the Himalayas once before, in the Spiti Valley... and am very excited to have the opportunity to run this race and have the trip to Nepal that goes with it!

I shall be posting a race/trip report and lots of photo's when I come back!

Look forward to photos Hann - amazing place I bet and even more amazing what you are doing

I will tootle off and donate now

Thanks so much One Hill Wonder

And Happy Birthday

I'll see you in the Helwith Bridge Inn and make a non electronic donation next Sunday
    I loved Nepal, should be a cracking trip.

BOING!

Time to bump this up again me thinks...

Leaving for Nepal this Sunday and getting excited and apprehensive at the same time. Running prep has been going well, one last run on Saturday, aiming for a little over 5 hours of running/bog hopping

Currently testing my new sleeping bag by sitting in it and keeping the heating off... verdict: it is too warm! But I am sure I won't think that when trying to sleep at Everest Basecamp...

I am hoping you will all take a look at the Glacier Trust website and my justgiving page and will feel generous enough to donate a small amount to my charities.

I don't usually run for charity, but on this occasion I decided to use this very special race to raise awareness of the situation in Nepal and am hoping to be able to help a little. I hope you will help me to help

I'm in! Best of luck, having seen your determination on Tour Des Galles this should be a doddle for you!
    "You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"

Good luck. Sounds amazing!

Thank you guys! Very generous Boy Wonder, MUCH appreciated