Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee help please!

Re: Knee help please!

Don't worry about hijacking the thread, the forum's for everyone's benefit.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Physio again today; sorry for turning this into a blogathon, i just hope others may benefit from it in the future. The leg raises in swim position seem to be working how they should, i can now tense my glutes and lift the leg an inch without too much activation in the hamstring. She's moved me off back-on-wall squats and onto one legged dips on the edge of a step, a set with the leg off forwards and a set with the leg off sidewards. I'm also adopting the recovery position, rotating the bottom (bad) leg ACW as far as it will go and lifting it up as far as i can, which isn't very far due to the top leg thigh being in the way but it works the glute.

Another problem that was discovered with the dips is that the knee on my bad leg falls inwards when i go down on that leg. This misalignment from the hip is a key thing to work on improving, and i've got to do lunges facing a mirror to make sure i stay lined up and likewise with the dips.

She demonstrated my muscle activation problems in my bad leg by getting me to tense my glutes and watch for a response in my VMO (vastus medialis obliqus) which is the quad muscle on the inside just above the kneecap. On the good leg it twitched, demonstrating my brain firing it correctly in response to firing the glute; on the bad leg-nothing. All the tiresome yoga moves i'm doing are designed to regain this link in the bad leg which was correctly demonstrated in the good.

I also found out she's not single...but getting married and emigrating to New Zealand shortly , which is a shame because she's fun and i like going to see her. I walked in there in a bad mood today and walked out feeling happy, you have to value people who have that effect on you.

Two weeks of yoga and light running to come, cycling and swimming i can do till i knock myself out .

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Gettin married? Not too late then tiger! Just kidding. Seems you've found a decent physio. Shame she's going
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

First run today for 16 days, 3/4 mile dash round the local nature reserve, knee pain kicked back in at about 1/2 mile but at least i've got a marker point now for future runs.

First chance to test my new Asics Trail Attack 5's, seem to be a lot harder than Nike Airs. This straighter style of shoe is supposed to be much better for my feet.

Bike ride tommorrow, 20m, see how that goes...should piss it due to bike riding not being traumatic in the knees.

Im in week two of physio, first week he had me doing one legged step downs and various other exercises with no running.

These proved too painful and knee pain got worse espically on the stairs and stuff. I think I overdid the exercises tbh I just totally hammered them and got dedicated and did them 3 times a day. Knee went worse.

Second week, I have been wound back to simple two legged squats and clams with lots of stretching. Pain gone and I can almost touch my toes for the first time in my life.

He has said I can lightly spin on a bike so may build up the cycling.

Back to him tommorow, surley I dont need to see him every week. Its gonna cost me a fortune.

Then again I have took that attitude before - cancelled physio and this thing has stuck around.

Go with it son, pay the price or pay the price

Am I missing running, for the first time no. I never really got my fitness back for the big stuff last year and bumbled through some small stuff. So I'm happy to take a break and get this thing right.

Jamie

Hi Jamie
    Good to ses you are still around

c'mon get it sorted you have that date in the lakes to sort out.

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    Im in week two of physio, first week he had me doing one legged step downs and various other exercises with no running.

These proved too painful and knee pain got worse espically on the stairs and stuff. I think I overdid the exercises tbh I just totally hammered them and got dedicated and did them 3 times a day. Knee went worse.

Second week, I have been wound back to simple two legged squats and clams with lots of stretching. Pain gone and I can almost touch my toes for the first time in my life.

He has said I can lightly spin on a bike so may build up the cycling.

Back to him tommorow, surley I dont need to see him every week. Its gonna cost me a fortune.

Then again I have took that attitude before - cancelled physio and this thing has stuck around.

Go with it son, pay the price or pay the price

Am I missing running, for the first time no. I never really got my fitness back for the big stuff last year and bumbled through some small stuff. So I'm happy to take a break and get this thing right.

Jamie
    I'm doing my exercises once daily, the one legged dips are really working for my glutes, i've had to miss a day to be on the safe side. Gym session tonight, i want to get some burn in my VMO with the leg raises and start with the hip abductor too.

Have you checked out that hospital fund thing if the cost is high for you? It can benefit some people but not me, my claim back cap was less than a years premium.

Sorry to hear your run was not succesful, is the cycling doing no harm at all pal. I take it your not pushing big gears.

My pain going down and upthe stairs has gone. I now feel I could run, but I have been at this point loads before. I think its now where the not running and just strengthing will come into its own.

Keep it up and keep updating the thread.

Physio for me tonight.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    Sorry to hear your run was not succesful, is the cycling doing no harm at all pal. I take it your not pushing big gears.

My pain going down and upthe stairs has gone. I now feel I could run, but I have been at this point loads before. I think its now where the not running and just strengthing will come into its own.

Keep it up and keep updating the thread.

Physio for me tonight.

Jamie
    None whatsoever, i didn't do my full 20 miler on thursday just a cheeky 14 or so. It only seems to be running that affects it.

Ok, 1.5 miles today, still irritation but less pain...slow progress maybe