Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee help please!

Re: Knee help please!

I need knee help please too. Behind my left knee in the centre right in the bend of my knee i have pain.It is a sharp pain and then it subsides to an ache. Help any ideas.

Posterior Cruciate Ligament maybe, if it is persistant i would offer the same advice that was offered to me and take it to a sports physio. There's so many different parts to a knee you will find it difficult to self-treat as i did. Turns out my problem was not my knee, but the way i was using my leg muscels was adversely affecting my LCL ligament and ITB and overloading them. I now have to train my brain to use the leg differently.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Cheers Mr Brightside. I was really fed up yesterday as i had to quit the RRR 30 miles in. I have unfinished business next year. To the point in question if no change by Wednesday will go to sports physio as i have insurance that will allow me to get seen quickly.

Physio appointment number 3 today, [Today's Physio Appt.?], and 4 weeks since i last ran, i'm off the little exercises and on to more difficult ones. The biggest problem is that my glutes still don't want to work when they should, "you've got really lazy glutes" she said. My VMO has increased in size ok but doing the leg raises still makes my ITB and my LCL sore so i'm off those altogether and onto presses, the idea was that the little exercises and alignment training would stop me relying on my ITB and allow the leg raises to progress but i'm still using my ITB too much. On the plus side my alignment on dips and lunges is great.

My new exercise program is basically a brutal glute and alignment workout. I explained that i'm not feeling a post exercise burn in the glutes and this is because the muscles, when activated, are too strong and healthy to be worked hard enough. The power is there but it's just i'm running on other muscles which is what the alignment drill is for.

I'm now doing simple lunges and jumping lunges which involve lunging, then jumping into a lunge on the next leg and keep swapping like that, simple dips and dips where i move the free leg from front to back in turn on each dip, little jumps twice then down into an alignment controlled good-form squat then repeat, and finally something called the 4 minute glute workout which i have a feeling will soon become the 6 minute glute workout! This is designed to get some work on the affected glute where other exercises have failed. This is done laying on the good side and with the bad leg: lift and lower, side to side, circle round, and knee up to chest. Keep going like this with the leg constantly suspended for 4 mins. I'm also doing an exercise where i sit on a gym ball with a 45 degree angle between my legs and lunge out onto the bad leg slightly and hold it. I plan to sit watching TV doing this for as long as i can. Again alignment of the leg is key. I'm onto 55Kg reps now with hip adductor and abductor lifts.

Keep going and try to stay positive.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 21-10-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Had about 5 physio appointments now and 6 weeks without running. No pain in the knee anymore unless I have really hammered the exercises like the one legged squats, then it hurts for a day or two.

My exercises have also been upped and like Mr Brightside my quads are strong but my control/stability coming off both my Ankle and Arse(glutes) is causing a lot of wobbles on the one legged squats. This seems to be the root of the tracking problems. Plenty of cushion exercise to challenge the stability.

Im a bit dizzy with exercies for it now, I have that many but it is feeling better. So thats a good thing

6 weeks is the longest I have left the knee without trying to run on it, I would usually be back now building up the miles getting confident and then facing a set back a few months down the line. So Im into the unknown with regards to rest can only be a good thing.

Im gonna aim to get out on the bike this weekend and build the cycling up again and maybe give the running a few more weeks.

Thought I would pile wieght on not running, but I am finding it easier to eat less. Guess thats how it works.

See you around
    Jamie

I've never had a problem with my leg wobbling on any of my exercises, my knee used to slide off inwards but that's done with now and my physio says my alignment is great. BTW if you want to work your glutes the jumping lunge things are king for that, i did a session in the gym on monday with weight on and i feel like i've been kicked in the arse by Richard Kiel.

Last time i went for a run my knee still hurt on the LCL but i put that down to previous damage, not physio failing. Leg presses rather than raises are better too as i don't use my ITB for the presses, wheras with the raises i was walking out with a stinging ITB.

I'm going to go for an amble round the nature reserve on friday to see how i an with a view to doing Great Whernside on saturday. Good luck with your recovery and don't throw yourself back in too soon.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 28-10-2009 at 04:38 PM.

jb_pale

I feel for anyone having problem with their knees. It can right and chronic

Great Whernside this weekend, felt very apprehensive about how my knee would behave but the knee was fine it was my form that was ruined! Ok i had been out drinking and smoking the night before but i just wasn't fast at all. It was my first run in my new PB Racers and my ankles were rolling all over the place, i need to run them in a bit probably then try and get them laced up tighter see what happens.

Going to leave it a couple of weeks before i race again, might go for a few trundles round the nature reserve in between and do some hill reps.

LCL is sensitive after Gt Whernside, hmmm, felt my glutes kicking in on the leg press tonight for the first time physiobabe will be so proud of me and relieved that it finally happened i suspect, 6 weeks after first starting treatment. Not a moment too soon

Tomorrow is exactly a year when i first started getting ITB trouble.
    Sods law that they've started hurting again these last few days.