Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Knee help please!

Re: Knee help please!

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Are you still in pain if / when you run? Where's it hurt? Still doing weekly hill-reps?

If the doctor or physio tells you to stop running you need to find one that says carry on
    No more irritation when i run because i'm using orthotic insoles but i've not run more than 4.5m yet, i got irritation from it on the LCL walking round town today though so there's something still going on with it and i don't understand why the MRI drew a blank. I've stopped doing hill reps and was just doing short races every 2-3 wks with no training in between, i had to do 2 consecutive races over the past 2 wks to test if the orthotics really had an effect which they did. What am i supposed to do if walking around makes it ache, i can't become a couch potato and is there really any point in stopping running if the insoles were working? The physio said there was nothing more she could do so i'm not currently seeing her at the moment but i'm tempted to go back to show her the radiologist's report and get an opinion on what the hell to do next because at the moment i'm confused.

Really i should listen to the doc but i think the stop running advice was based on the fact they didn't really know what to say and that immobilising me was the best guess available in the absence of a cast iron diagnosis of the problem. I can see it just continuing to irritate me when i walk around for the 3-4 months i've been told to stop running and when i get back out again i'll be no better off than where i am now, perhaps i'm too negative perhaps i screwed it up worse that anyone realises and i'm looking at 12mths plus who knows? See what the physio says is the next move i think. Damn it i'm tired of life torturing me .
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Super Moderator

15years ago I was showing visitors round where I used to work and one asked me if I was okay as I was limping. I'd walked 20miles the day before in the Peak and my knees hurt. I've been for an hour's walk this afternoon and my knees still hurt! Life goes on I find my knees are worse if I rest for a day or two. Why don't you try a few 3 or 4mile trail runs? Keep off the road, and don't go mad but just see what happens
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Why don't you try a few 3 or 4mile trail runs? Keep off the road, and don't go mad but just see what happens
    Think i'm going to have to at least try and do as they say, i want to keep up the hill reps as i only do little 20m uphill sprints so the distance never really goes over 0.6k for 15 reps and i found them very good for working my glutes. If i don't make an attempt to stick to what they say at least partly and the problem persists beyond 4mths you know what they'll say when i go back. Before this happened i was bulletproof, i was doing up to 20 mile hikes every week with 15kg on my back and no problems so i can't really resign myself to being this way for the rest of my life.

I'm going to hand my notice in at work as my current job is a source of stress and will exasperate the problem, the better i feel mentally the easier this thing will be, i don't have anywhere to go yet but the notice period is 6wks so there's lots of time and when you've got a trade you're always in with a good shout even if times are tough.

Paul Ilkley Harriers says i can help marshalling at Ilkley Moor so see how that goes, marshalling might keep me on-scene and a bit happier if you know what i mean.

Dont lose hope Brighty.

When my ITB was bad this time last year it was really getting me down. It'll come and you'll be back running and racing...but it'll never stop hurting

Cheers Al, i've decided to book an appointment with the physio in Otley who advertises in the FRA handbook, it's not that i don't trust the one i've been seeing before but maybe a more fell related physio will have something extra to add.

FIirstly have you had a proper biomechanical assessment ? if it is a Biomechancal problem firstly you need to consider proper carbon fibre orthotics made to exactly suite you. not off the shelf ones.

has any one cheked your leg length? when your Biomechanics are correct you then need to start specific muscle balancing and strengthening, put the foundations right and the rest will fall into place. give me a ring if you want any advice
    01229 480422 ask for dave

Quote Originally Posted by injury advice View Post
    FIirstly have you had a proper biomechanical assessment ? if it is a Biomechancal problem firstly you need to consider proper carbon fibre orthotics made to exactly suite you. not off the shelf ones.

has any one cheked your leg length? when your Biomechanics are correct you then need to start specific muscle balancing and strengthening, put the foundations right and the rest will fall into place. give me a ring if you want any advice
    01229 480422 ask for dave
    I've been seeing a Podiatrist for a while and the orthotics with a 4 degree wedge seem to work beyond any reasonable doubt, so i guess the answer to your question is yes. I'm continuing to drill the muscular exercises the physio gave me but i can't go too nuts, two sessions a week is about tops.

Look for a good Clinical sports & remedial therapist to perform some STR Soft tissue release on the surrounding muscles & some good remedial work from some one that comes recomended ask around

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I've been seeing a Podiatrist for a while and the orthotics with a 4 degree wedge seem to work beyond any reasonable doubt, so i guess the answer to your question is yes. I'm continuing to drill the muscular exercises the physio gave me but i can't go too nuts, two sessions a week is about tops.
    I had a major knee problem after 2008 PPP and found that you've really got to get stuck into strengthening excercises. If you can only manage twice weekly are you overdoing it? Might be better to do little less for four or five times per week. Its good pyscologically to be doing something if you can't run too

injury advice's post looks spot on to me. pm me Mr B if you want details of people who helped me
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by injury advice View Post
    Look for a good Clinical sports & remedial therapist to perform some STR Soft tissue release on the surrounding muscles & some good remedial work from some one that comes recomended ask around
    Would acupuncture be an example of STR? That avenue hasn't been fully explored yet with my current physio, the lady before did one session prior to getting married and emigrating and it was never continued. My ITB was reluctant to release is all we found out.