Thread: Bothies/old mining huts

Bothies/old mining huts

Anyone know of any proper bothies or old disused mining hits and the like that could be utilised for a few overnights in the Lakes?

Not strictly a miners hut, but there's some kind of old game-keepers lodge up above Burnmoor Tarn... although not especially handy as it's only about 40 minutes above Wasdale itself... certainly very desolate and lonely though, up on Burnmoor....

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea if it is privately owned, or what state it is in.... on a quick internet search it appears to be a maintained mountain hut, but you need to be a member to stay there...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robflynn View Post
    Anyone know of any proper bothies or old disused mining hits and the like that could be utilised for a few overnights in the Lakes?
    Try Mosedale cottage, above Swindale, near Shap. I've stayed there a few times and its dry and (usually) clean. Plenty of room too. Reputed to be haunted (aren't they all!), but the only spirits I encountered came in a bottle and were labelled single malt Readily accessible on a mountain bike. Nearest car parking at the first cattlegrid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2FVTJxiRwk

http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bo...sp?bothy_id=92
    Am Yisrael Chai

Warnscale Head Bothy on the Haystacks/Great Gable approach might fit the bill. Stunning location and well camouflaged. Basic

Warnscale looks great. That was the only one I'd identified already and looks spot-on (except that by all accounts it's quite a smoky stay if you want a fire.

The least accessible the better really as I'm looking to get away from it all and do a few a days travelling fast and light with the dog. I'll have my tent but only really want to crack that out if I really have to - a dirty wet collie in a Competition 1 would be quite unpleasant. If the weather's good and I can just take my tarp then it's a different story completely.

A bothy of sorts, Priest's Hole on Dove Crag is remote, has a nice scrambly access, and stunning views. You'll need some weather protection this time of year as the opening is quite wide

Thanks Knightrunner. I probably not be going until spring now. Travelling light and carrying for winter conditions contradict each other too much for me right now. I want to have a good time and good nights sleeps - not freeze my knackers off. Plus, I want to be sure the dogs warm enough too!