Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Snakebites

Re: Snakebites

Nearly stood on one this year at Jura whilst descending from checkpoint 2 towards Keils after doing a recce. Although it gave me quite a fright I did feel quite privilaged to have seen one. April/May and in warm weather is when they are most active due to it being their mating time. Although they would sooner retreat from danger they can be quite confrontational if they feel threatened, so always be on the cautious side when you come across one.

Master

Ive seen lots over the years in Peak and n Wales generally whilst climbing at crags such as Tremadog, Grochan and Cromlech. Nearly put my hand on one whilst ascending Yewbarrow on my BGR. Last Summer in France whilst out running I suddenly saw an Adder on the path just as I was about to put my front foot down onto it, managed to take an extra long step but thought a bite was inevitable s my trailing leg knocked it. I didnt get bitten but it was way too close for comfort. I would be a bit more concerned in USA or OZ where travelling where you cant see your feet or see ahead is far more ill advised.

I've only ever seen one adder in South Wales. Dozing in the middle of a cliff-top path. They are so sensitive to vibration, they usually sense oncomers from quite a distance away.

I've had two 'other-snake' close calls. First came in Canada, where a large snake appeared in front of me from the bushes at the side of the trail I was running on. It paused half way across, then slithered away. Probably two metres in front of me. It was black, with reddish stripes all the way down its back, and was about a metre and a half long. I've never been able to identify it, and believe me I've had a right old go, so any snake experts with any ideas, please give me a shout as I'd really like to know what it was.

Second was in Bako, Borneo. A Wagler's Pit Viper appeard right next to where I'd sat down on a fallen tree trunk. I Slowly moved away. It just sat there. My guide said, 'If that bite you, you not going home, ever'. I think he was exaggerating, I'm not sure they are deadly. Still, didn't want to find out!!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

There were always adders sunning themselves on the bottom ledge of The Belling near Falstone in Northumberland. It was one of my favourite climbing crags before they flooded it when Keilder Water was created. Being young and daft we would have traversing competitions across the steep wall above them - certainly made you focus on staying attached. Great days!
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Haven't seen an adder for about 20 years ( on a hot day in Colsterdale). I ran in the bondu in Cyprus for a few years, though, where there's loads of black whip snakes 4' to 5' long. They're harmless but still give you an atavistic shock when something that size suddenly moves under your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    ..... but if you were to step on one it wouldn't miss.
    Not totally true! In the mid 60's one of my younger brothers was camping at High Arnside with our local scout troop. One evening, carrying kayaks down to Tarn Howes, he trod on an adder and it just bolted. He was wearing only T shirt, trunks and sandals!!

There seems to be a healthy population on Dartmoor. Seen a few this year but that could be because I'm into my barefooting!

Lola

Saw one recently on one of the sandy trails in Dalby Forest - don't suppose it lasted the day, Mountain Bike tyres are quite unforgiving, somebody was bound to run it over.

Many years ago, my then girlfriends Jack Russell was bitten on the nose and taken to the vet. The 'treatment'
    was lots of strong cold coffee and don't let the dog off its feet for 24hrs. Poor thing was walked round the garden all night and the next day high as a kite. It was fine. Sore paws and a swollen face but otherwise the usual grumpy energetic animal most JRs can be! Not sure what Longdogs would think of the remedy tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Saw one recently on one of the sandy trails in Dalby Forest - don't suppose it lasted the day, Mountain Bike tyres are quite unforgiving, somebody was bound to run it over.

Many years ago, my then girlfriends Jack Russell was bitten on the nose and taken to the vet. The 'treatment'
    was lots of strong cold coffee and don't let the dog off its feet for 24hrs. Poor thing was walked round the garden all night and the next day high as a kite. It was fine. Sore paws and a swollen face but otherwise the usual grumpy energetic animal most JRs can be! Not sure what Longdogs would think of the remedy tho.
    I was watching a western the other week and a woman got bit by a rattler and ran about screaming. Richard Widmark told her not to run around as it would spread the poison quicker. When she carried on screaming he knocked her out....(not related to the poison but because she was in danger of giving away their position to the indians ) ...so is it rest or keep them moving and let the body speed up the elimination of the poison from the system ?
    No country for old men.