Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No More Fellrunner Profiles

No More Fellrunner Profiles

Part 1 & Part 2
    Apart from being one of the most important records, and greatest recordings, ever cut, Bob Dylan’s Like A Rolling Stone (Presley’s Heartbreak Hotel is the other one) dealt the death blow to single song but double-sided record releases, even though it is 6 minutes long (actually 5.59). Previously longish records like Ray Charles What’d I Say or Chris Kenner’s I like It Like That had been spread over two sides. The reason for this was not any technical limitation but that juke box operators wanted short records- Stay by Maurice Williams & Zodiacs was pretty well perfect in maximizing juke box plays per hour. Fortunately Stay is a minor masterpiece and so cannot be played too often. And of course US radio DJs were always mindful of the limited attention span of US teenagers who might switch stations after 2 minutes of a record they did not like.
    But since Dylan (as in Anno Dylan) records have tended to be issued on one side of a single, even dirges like Richard Harris’ Mac Arthur Park which must last a week, if not a lifetime.
    Most double sided records were, of course, instrumentals and generally only one side was ever credited in the Billboard charts and, accordingly, given most “air play”. So Hot 100 hits included Image (part 1) by Hank Levine and Shimmy Shimmy Walk (part 1) by the Megatons. Sometimes part 2 was the hit as in Smokie -Bill Black’s Combo, You Can’t Sit Down- Phil Upchurch, Topsy- Cozy Cole, or Madison Time - Ray Bryant Combo . There are a lot of others but I restrict my examples to Hot 100 entries. Honky Tonk by Bill Doggett was an exception and was listed under just its title but, as anyone who owns this classic knows, there isn’t much difference between the sides. It is a one-take track that was just chopped in half to spread over two sides of a 45 disc. In contrast to, say, the Phil Upchurch track where side 2 is a completely different sound as with Hank Levine’s Image. Image started life as a 9 beat, 5 seconds radio station identity theme and eventually ended up as two completely different treatments of the expanded theme, justifying its double-side treatment. It is interesting that when the Dovells added words (or rather their song writers did) to You Can’t Sit Down it only lasts one side. And so it should. Len Barry (1-2-3, etc ) was their lead singer and that says enough. The Upchurch track could last forever. Top musicians really in a groove.

And what has all this to do with fell running? Well aren’t there two sides to every fell race story?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 24-09-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Super Moderator

Re: No More Fellrunner Profile

You been on the Sanatogen again Graham?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

I think the number of sides to a fell race story grow with the retelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    You been on the Sanatogen again Graham?
    Must have been. Anyway that's like saying 100 mile overnight events have been the death knell for Mountain Marathons. Lazy journalism or what? And from a trainspotter's point of view The Story of Them was 1967, 2 years after Like a Rolling Stone, & that was split over 2 sides, & then everyone got into dub version B-sides in Jamaica, and all sort of things led from that. I got thrown out of a pub for playing the B-side of Love Will Tear Us Apart on the jukebox twice. Mind you, it was supposed to be played at 33. Pass the Sanatogen, I need a top-up.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Well of course I was talking about the classic era of 45s. I don't think I mentioned CDs either.

As for Them ("two-hit wonders") I suspect spreading their story over two sides was because of a paucity of material-even, as in this case, somewhat dire?
    I'd assumed you were quoting a journalist, Graham - no intention of casting nasturtiums on your own views, I was just stirring the pot. Personally I don't think Van Morrison's done much to match The Story of Them since then, but I don't expect everyone to agree with that either!
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Nope! All my own views.

I used to like and go see Van Morrison. Although-and I know this is received wisdom- his masterpiece was, is and always will be Astral Weeks since when he has sustained his continuous decline for decades.

Super Moderator

Astral Weeks is brilliant. Veedon Fleece is possibly my favourite though

Re part1 and part2 singles, James Brown did this with the seminal Get Up (I feel like being a ) Sex Machine in 1970, and he's arguably more influential on modern popular beat music than Elvis or Bob Dylan
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Astral Weeks is brilliant. Veedon Fleece is possibly my favourite though
    I know these are supposed to be some of his best albums, & they're good, I know. What I actually listen to though is his Them catalogue and the demos etc he recorded before Astral Weeks: Spanish Rose, Who Drove the Red Sports Car and so on. I prefer the rougher R&B & Spanish style stuff he did early on. TB Sheets is hard to listen to though... - and that's not because it isn't good, it's just too harrowing.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

...and the best debut B-side ever in Gloria. Opinion or fact? Nope - definitely fact. Time to open another bottle.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    ...and the best debut B-side ever in Gloria. Opinion or fact? Nope - definitely fact. Time to open another bottle.

Yup! Damn good "B" side but ..lazy journalist that I am... Them's first release was Don't Start Crying Now/ One Two Brown Eyes on Decca F11973 and BPDG/G was Decca F 12018 ie four months later.

Arcane or what?