Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAB Mini Mountain Marathon

RAB Mini Mountain Marathon

Thinking about doing the first one in this series from Edale on 1/11. Having never done one before I was wondering if anyone could me some idea off how many checkpoints there are to go at and what distance you are likely to cover.

Re: RAB Mini Mountain Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by cheetham View Post
    Thinking about doing the first one in this series from Edale on 1/11. Having never done one before I was wondering if anyone could me some idea off how many checkpoints there are to go at and what distance you are likely to cover.
    These mini marathons are score events with plenty of checkpoints. You do as many as you can in 3 hours but watch out, the time penalties are severe if you go over the time. Plan a route with a good score that you can cover in 3 hours.
    Yiannis

just bumped the thread I started a while back for the series:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/newre...ote=1&p=246379

like Yiannis said, first thing is to have a rough idea of how many Miles you think you can cover in 3 hours over "average" terrain around Edale...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Banned

Brilliant events.

Cheers,

Entries in now. Looking forward to doing something different to just following the leader.

Use to do a lot of walking around the Edale area when I lived in south Manchester. Be good to have my first go at this kind of thing in an area i'm familiar with.

Cheers,

Entries in now. Looking forward to doing something different to just following the leader.

Use to do a lot of walking around the Edale area when I lived in south Manchester. Be good to have my first go at this kind of thing in an area i'm familiar with.
    Route choice between checkpoints is important and local knowledge helps a lot.
    Yiannis

Thumbs up Re: RAB Mini Mountain Marathon

Good fun.
    Had a go last year. doing it this year.

Top Tips for newbies;

• Go anticlockwise; most seem to, maybe it's deeply psychological!
    • save any piddling 10 pointers near the start, until the finish. You can use them to mop up any spare time at the end, but you can't get that time back if you're late!
    • Anything up to 5mins late is spot on. At a penalty rate of 1pt/min for the first 5 mins it's worth being a bit late in order to bag an extra control.
    • Aim to set off towards the end of the allowed start window. That way, any checkpoints that are behind walls or trees are easier to find; just look for the elephant tracks!
    • Spend plenty of time looking at the master map before your start. This map will have the start/finish marked but no controls. Work out where you are on the map and relate it to where you are on the ground (i.e orientate yourself). watch which way other starters go, to give you an idea of the preferred route choices (esp if they're wearing a dark peak vest!). Have a look at where the key contour features (long valleys, ridges) and the fast routes are (roads and bridleways). Don't forget that you can move significantly faster on tarmac than through a boggy field!!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Top Tips for newbies
    Cheers for that AA, like the idea of the fourth tip.

I know you don't get the cp's until you start, and is useless to try and second guess them, but out of curosity in previous years have they been mainly to the north of Edale on Kinder or are some to the south i.e Mam Tor, Rushup Edge etc.

I'm entered which of the forumites are going?
    http://www.physiobench.com
    online physio treatment and advice