Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1,254 mile Mountain-Marathon.

Re: 1,254 mile Mountain-Marath

Hi Kevin. A bit knackered from racing this morning, but now I've read your posts properly I'm not going to complain about being a bit tired ever again...or for a week or two anyway

I'm sure a lot of us recognised some bits of the state you got into towards the end of the run, but I for one have never been near getting that many of them at once. Credit where it's due for keeping going anyway. You just can't fail that close to something as epic as that can you? Not unless you physically can't move any more. I guess what some won't realise is just how remote some of that country is though. I'm pretty sure you could hang around on the Knockfin Heights for weeks without seeing a soul, even in the distance.

Thanks for you kind comments about my book (pause for blushes). PM me or email me (see my LEJOG website). If you can remember the details of the errors I'd like to put corrections up on the website. Mind you I suspect there's enough interest in this thread to continue on the forum for a bit longer, so I'm happy to continue on here as well for anything of more general interest...

...Such as getting a book published. To be honest you'll be very lucky to get such a book published by a mainstream publisher. It would have to be a really good book: an account of an epic journey in itself isn't enough. Most LEJOG accounts have been self-published or published by "vanity" outfits, i.e, you'd have to pay for it and do your own distribution. One thing you could do though is to write an article & see if you can get it published in one of the running or outdoor magazines (e.g. TGO). If you've got some good photos to accompany it that would make a difference, & you'd need to get moving, before the run's too far in the past. That would then be something you could use on publishers. (Not that I did that: it's easier to get a guidebook published, as long as you hit a gap in the market.)

Oh, & I was wondering which hotel saved your bacon. Sounds like Oykel Bridge to me - if so, good for them! I ate there when I walked LEJOG, then slept in one of the fishermen's huts further up the river. Newly creosoted - the smell was with me for days.

Anyone else got publishing tips they can pass on?
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Banned

Matt at www.mudsweatandtears.co.uk is a real nice bloke and am sure he would put something on his site and may point you in the right direction ( no pun intended)

I will dig around and see if I can help you with a publisher.

How's it going Kevin?

I've just been mulling over your account of your epic run whilst out on the fells alone today (where I do almost all of my most profound mulling of course!)
    I can really identify with the 'low' you experienced after completing the LEJOG.
    After some of my big runs, I have often hit a real low for a week or so afterwards, but I'm sure that I can't even begin to comprehend what you went through / are going through after your six-week epic.
    I still don't know what causes this.
    You may well be on the right lines with the Endorphin crash.
    Fatigue?
    A feeling of deflation and total emptiness following completion of a project that has been all-consuming over the past months?
    Maybe all of the above, compounded by sleep deprivation and severe depletion of the body's resources - physical, mental and emotional.

One thing I am more certain of is that you WILL recover, but it is going to take some time, even for someone with your undoubted resilience, tenacity and mental strength.

I'm sure that writing about your experiences is a huge step towards finding closure and moving on to other challenges.

So, take it easy over the coming months and look after yourself.

Kev

PS Put me on the list for a copy of your book!
    Last edited by The Navigator; 05-10-2009 at 08:13 AM.

It was the Oykel Bridge Hotel - They Really helped me out, I need to get in touch asap and thank them. I hit there at the wrong time of day to make use of the fishing huts for shelter.

Most nights I slept in my foil blizzard bag as a bivi/sleeping bag in one with a small tarpaulin covering head/torso if I thought there was risk of the weather closing in.

My whole sleeping system weighed in around 700g - Blizard survival bag, silk liner, half a thermarest z matt, the outer of a tent cut in half to form a micro-tarp over my head.

I had never come across a Bothy before this journey, I made use of three - on the southern upland way a purpose built log cabin - now ruined with grafitti and people partying there who have started using the logs of the cabin to burn for fuel to close to a road and location given away on google earth).

Glen Affric - a lovelly building in the most amazing location, and on a night when I really needed to be warm and dry.

Someone had left a nearly full bottle of 15YR old Dalwhenie whiskie there!
    I couldn't believe it - I felt so terrible that day (running in a storm/rain most of the day, falling over lots) and sorry for myself I was tempted to sit by the warm fire and drink the better part of the bottle-and take the next day as a rest day, I may well have done if I'd had any more food.
    As it was I had one large dram, two paracetamol some of tesco's knock off snickers bars and promptly slept sound all night.

I never knew how to choose just one single malt as a favourite - Dalwhenie is now mine - i discovered it in Glen Affric, the highest collection of Munroes in one place I'd ever seen, and upon reading hte bottle I discovered it's produced at the highest altitude whiskey distillery in all of scotland - in the mountians, perfect I was running a mountain marathon, was left a drink by a generous stranger in the mountains and it's produced in the mountians - it will always bring me fond memories, and so now I've chosen my favourite single malt!

I also stayed in a private bothy (maintained by estate not MBA) Bendronaig lodge- this is a fantastic location and really well maintained building with no less than four working fire places to keep people/groups warm. The owners here are very generous, making sure there was logs, kindling, paper and matches prepared by the side of the fire. Also candles for light, and a bag of hard boiled sugar sweets above the fire! - even a working toilet in the building. I slept well here also.

As for publishining- I think I will go down the print-on-demand self publishing route, I don't know how large an audience will be interested in this story, at least this way I dont have to pay for hundreds/thousands of books to be printed at once and then leave them in an attic gathering dust - it will also be registered on Amazon so people can find it.

I found I began running Ultra's after spending a year or two reading others accounts of their runs

John Annerino - running wild, first person in modern history to run the whole of the grand canyon, a fascinating read and very inspirational.

The long walk - not a run but true story of prisoners escaping siberian prisoner of war camp in the war and walking all the way to India!

Hugh Symonds - Running high I think this is the most impressive run I've ever heard of. He ran every mountain in the uk and between them, over 2000 miles and 300 mountians - absaloutely amazing.

when I was running in the Highlands, whenever I got tired I looked up at the peaks all around me and imagined just how tiring it would be to run up the mountains - all of them not just over the shoulders of a few passes and around them - I imagined Hugh running there and told myself 'you got it easy so quit whining' - other times I imagined I was Hugh, that I could run that strong and so I had nothing to worry about - I knew I could make it, might sound strange - I never met the guy but his book inspired me so much - it's the reason I attempted the LE-JOG mountain marathon.

Pam Reed - going the extra mile. An incredible story I can relate to in many ways.

Twight-Confessions of a serial climber. A brilliant entertaining read and an insight into the psyche of one of the worlds top athletes, can be read by mountaneers and everyday folk alike.

There are many many more - after a while though I got fed up of reading about amazing stories - I was literally on Amazon looking for another book to purchase when I decided enough is enough - you need to make your own storie, have your own great adventure not just read about someone elses. I think I re-read Hugh symonds book several times.

People say you become what you think- or you become like your peers. I live in Devon not a hot spot for fell running - I tend to run solo most of the time, still my 'peers' - those who I chose to let influence me are the authors of these accounts, I found they encouraged, motivated me and led me to believe that it is possible to push myself, reading accounts of what others had done allowed me to dream bigger, as I had proof it could be done.

It's why I plan to write my book - apart from never wanting to forget the run. memories fade in time - I'd like to sit down in my eighties and read through the book and re-live my adventure, hopefully I'll have a grandkid or two to read it also. But primarily I hope that someone who is probabally just a kid today will read my book in ten-or more years and get inspiration to push themselves. Hugh Symonds book was published in 87 - 22 years later I found the inspiration to live my craziest adventure thus far becasue he took the time to write his story.

I'm not too concerned if it sells many copies or not, a mass publishing deal would be great but I don't expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Hi Kevin. A bit knackered from racing this morning, but now I've read your posts properly I'm not going to complain about being a bit tired ever again...or for a week or two anyway

I'm sure a lot of us recognised some bits of the state you got into towards the end of the run, but I for one have never been near getting that many of them at once. Credit where it's due for keeping going anyway. You just can't fail that close to something as epic as that can you? Not unless you physically can't move any more. I guess what some won't realise is just how remote some of that country is though. I'm pretty sure you could hang around on the Knockfin Heights for weeks without seeing a soul, even in the distance.

Thanks for you kind comments about my book (pause for blushes). PM me or email me (see my LEJOG website). If you can remember the details of the errors I'd like to put corrections up on the website. Mind you I suspect there's enough interest in this thread to continue on the forum for a bit longer, so I'm happy to continue on here as well for anything of more general interest...

...Such as getting a book published. To be honest you'll be very lucky to get such a book published by a mainstream publisher. It would have to be a really good book: an account of an epic journey in itself isn't enough. Most LEJOG accounts have been self-published or published by "vanity" outfits, i.e, you'd have to pay for it and do your own distribution. One thing you could do though is to write an article & see if you can get it published in one of the running or outdoor magazines (e.g. TGO). If you've got some good photos to accompany it that would make a difference, & you'd need to get moving, before the run's too far in the past. That would then be something you could use on publishers. (Not that I did that: it's easier to get a guidebook published, as long as you hit a gap in the market.)

Oh, & I was wondering which hotel saved your bacon. Sounds like Oykel Bridge to me - if so, good for them! I ate there when I walked LEJOG, then slept in one of the fishermen's huts further up the river. Newly creosoted - the smell was with me for days.

Anyone else got publishing tips they can pass on?
    Last edited by carr; 05-10-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
    How's it going Kevin?

I've just been mulling over your account of your epic run whilst out on the fells alone today (where I do almost all of my most profound mulling of course!)
    I can really identify with the 'low' you experienced after completing the LEJOG.
    After some of my big runs, I have often hit a real low for a week or so afterwards, but I'm sure that I can't even begin to comprehend what you went through / are going through after your six-week epic.
    I still don't know what causes this.
    You may well be on the right lines with the Endorphin crash.
    Fatigue?
    A feeling of deflation and total emptiness following completion of a project that has been all-consuming over the past months?
    Maybe all of the above, compounded by sleep deprivation and severe depletion of the body's resources - physical, mental and emotional.

One thing I am more certain of is that you WILL recover, but it is going to take some time, even for someone with your undoubted resilience, tenacity and mental strength.

I'm sure that writing about your experiences is a huge step towards finding closure and moving on to other challenges.

So, take it easy over the coming months and look after yourself.

Kev

PS Put me on the list for a copy of your book!
    I think the main reason for depression/lack of energy is a burnt out central nervous system - stress (be that mental, emotional, physical or a combination of all three).

All contribute to elevated cortisol levels, when the stress is chronic/constant the cortisol levels (stress hormone) is constantly at very high elevated level, after a while the body (central nervous system) begins to become desensitised to the effects of the hormone, first you're hyper agitated(stressed) but after constant exposure you go the opposite way - the stree hormone is still very very high, but your body stops showing the stress response, the adrenal glands stop listening to the cortisol and the flight-fight response dissapears. This might sound good - you become calmer/stop being 'stressed' but you're instead of being in a state of hyper-arousal (agitated,anxious,worried) you now find it very very difficult to become aroused by any stimulus - you go to far the other way, under-aroused - no motivation, no passion, no energy or drive all there is obviously psychological response to this as well - leading not only to a 'flat'-feeling in physical energy but also mentaly you feel flat.

I think I'll be back to normal by December. I plan to start training again in Jan. Guinness world records wouldn't award me a record for the Lands End -John O'Groats run as they said there are too many posible route choices off road it would be impossible to verify two athletes ran the exact same course- leadoing to a variation in course times means they wont hold a record - if it isn't open to contention they won't hold it. Really annoying -it's almost like they're saying it never happened.

I'm tempted see how far I can run without sleep - it's a contentious record Karnazes claims he has ran the furthest -350miles without sleeping (after Pam reed made 300miles no sleep) - these two runs were actually on the road - between points, i.e. Karnazes ran the equivilant of Devon to Yorkshire in one push (no sleep) which he claims is a record. The furthest actually ran withpout sleep is over 400miles by grek ultra-running legend Yiannis Kouros- I think around 440miles, he did this on his way to breaking the 1000mile record. Karnazes claims the two records are distinct as he actually ran between two points 350miles apart where as Yiannis ran around a track (so never ran further than a few hundred metres in distance) but repeated it thousands of times.

Either distances are crazy but it would be fun to try seeing how far I can go without stopping - rather tahn 'stage-running' where I run quite far in a day - but hten see how many days I can keep going. I think it will be less stressful on the body.

WOW! Brilliant! Very well done. When i cycled it there was a fella doing it on a skateboard!
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Quote Originally Posted by skennaugh View Post
    WOW! Brilliant! Very well done. When i cycled it there was a fella doing it on a skateboard!
    Cheers. I have the book by the guy who skateboarded it - Dave cornthwaite. He only did it as a publicity stunt/practice for his skateboard across the whole of Australia! - he had only been skateboarding for 4-6months when you saw him on that journey - bagged himself a world record on a training run! Incredible determination, his feet were disgusting.

He said he was wearing shoes out quite rapidly! Ha ha!
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

that's ridiculous that Guinness won't recognise a record - so what if there are route choices - if somebody wants to go a different way and can do it quicker then so be it surely?

latest Runner's World mag mentions a lass who's currently planning to run round Grand Canyon - can't remember her name atm - how far IS that!

Dalwhinnie has long been my fave single malt - obviously I have good taste!
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

stunning.....

and a very well written account, top stuff