Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leg strength:descending

leg strength:descending

Now it's Spring I’m starting to think about the fell season again and I want to improve the strength in my legs before I start descending again. I don’t feel confident at all at the moment, and feel like my right knee will ‘go’ at any time (it went spontaneously at school the other day…think I must have aggravated an old medial meniscus injury).

Anybody know any exercises I can do to build leg strength…especially in the muscles used for descending?

Andy
    Last edited by A.G; 31-03-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Re: leg strength:descending

A plyometric exercise such as jumping off a bench & then jumping upwards is a good strengthening exercise. You could also try putting your back against a wall & bending your knees to 90 degrees.

All the best.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

I use the bike when my knee gets bad. I had surgery on my medial meniscus 4 years ago to remove a tear. Cycling seems to help strengthen the joint without the danger of twisting that you get with running. I'm sure that it has helped the descending too. You can't beat practicing downhill though. We do downhill reps of say 2 minutes flat out, with a gentle climb in between.

Are you still thinking of doing the BOFRA series this year? They are taking entries already. You need to join before you do any of their races or the points wont count. If you need their address then let me know.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    I use the bike when my knee gets bad. I had surgery on my medial meniscus 4 years ago to remove a tear. Cycling seems to help strengthen the joint without the danger of twisting that you get with running. I'm sure that it has helped the descending too. You can't beat practicing downhill though. We do downhill reps of say 2 minutes flat out, with a gentle climb in between.

Are you still thinking of doing the BOFRA series this year? They are taking entries already. You need to join before you do any of their races or the points wont count. If you need their address then let me know.
    So do you still feel the effects of the meniscus injury then?

Yeah, I sent off my BOFRA form about a week ago. I'm going home (Rossendale) today, so will see if its come.

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

don't ignore proprioception AG, google it and I'm sure you will find loads of ideas of exercises to do.

Quote Originally Posted by A.G View Post
    So do you still feel the effects of the meniscus injury then?

Yeah, I sent off my BOFRA form about a week ago. I'm going home (Rossendale) today, so will see if its come.
    It took about a year for all the discomfort to go after the operation. Then nothing for the past couple of years. Then 6 weeks ago at the end of a hard training run, that old niggle came back again. So I've been winding it down to about 75% training to see if I can get through it that way. It's a bit of a sod as I've never had a better winter's training. So I've got the bike out again and I can't feel it on the bike. I'll try running on it again next week.

I'm hoping to do a number of BOFRA races this year again. Don't miss Coniston Gullies, Alva and Wasdale Head show. They'll sort out your descending good and proper!
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    It took about a year for all the discomfort to go after the operation. Then nothing for the past couple of years. Then 6 weeks ago at the end of a hard training run, that old niggle came back again. So I've been winding it down to about 75% training to see if I can get through it that way. It's a bit of a sod as I've never had a better winter's training. So I've got the bike out again and I can't feel it on the bike. I'll try running on it again next week.

I'm hoping to do a number of BOFRA races this year again. Don't miss Coniston Gullies, Alva and Wasdale Head show. They'll sort out your descending good and proper!
    Totally agree about Wasdale Head Show, belter for finding out when your legs give way. Mine were like 2 banana skins for at least the last half way down, didn't know where they were going to land! Belting race, just hope the weather this year is going to be as nice as last year, mid October in the lakes and running with no vest it was that warm, views from the top were magnificent, until the realsiation dawned that I had to run back down!

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblehead View Post
    Totally agree about Wasdale Head Show, belter for finding out when your legs give way. Mine were like 2 banana skins for at least the last half way down, didn't know where they were going to land! Belting race, just hope the weather this year is going to be as nice as last year, mid October in the lakes and running with no vest it was that warm, views from the top were magnificent, until the realsiation dawned that I had to run back down!
    Do you need to be a member of BOFRA to run at the Wasdale Head Show?

Bill

david

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Do you need to be a member of BOFRA to run at the Wasdale Head Show?

Bill
    No. All BOFRA races are open to anyone but you can't score championship points unless you are a member.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    No. All BOFRA races are open to anyone but you can't score championship points unless you are a member.
    Thanks, I just fancy doing the wasdale show race.

Bill