Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running in bad weather

Running in bad weather

Got to thinking about this on my recent little solo jaunt around the Lakes

I'm still not 100% confident about heading up to the high fells in bad weather with just a bumbag

Let's face it races are different: you've got lots of company and although you shouldn't rely on that there's an obvious comfort and security in being part of an organised event, where if you do really b * gger it up, you'll probably be OK in the end.

I'd be interested to know how many folk on here run on their own high up in winter in minimal kit. I mean if it's your area and you know the routes (and escape paths) like the back of your hand, that's different: you're never going to stop and get cold.

But if I was going to spend a week running in the Lakes in the winter, I'd want to take a little rucksack with some gear and food in - and there's probably some weather I wouldn't go up in at all.

Suppose I'm just wondering where peoples' limits lie?
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 03-10-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Re: Running in bad weather

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I'm still not 100% confident about heading up to the high fells in bad weather with just a bumbag

Let's face it races are different:
    They aren't. And you should be capable of running solo in any weather if attempting AL's in mountainous areas like the Lakes.

There's too much responsibility on race organisers and not enough on runners.

well it's fair point Iain

I am capable of coping with most conditions or else I wouldn't have put myself in for Lakes ALs - which have all been in the summer by the way (and while I'm well aware how bad Lakes weather can be in the summer, bad winter weather is a lot worse than bad summer weather)

how many of the 400-500 people who trot round something like the anni waltz would happily take themselves up Pillar on a solo run in bad winter weather with the same kit?

You would like to think all, but I doubt it...

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    They aren't. And you should be capable of running solo in any weather if attempting AL's in mountainous areas like the Lakes.

There's too much responsibility on race organisers and not enough on runners.
    agreed, you should not go out prepared for every thing to go well as when it goes it wrong you aren't prepared for the realities of the sh!t hitting the fan.

does that make sense?

I don't mean to sound harsh. It's just a bit of a bug point of mine that too many people set off expecting it to be safe. Too many races shortened because RO's think runners can't cope. At £3-5 an entry it's not a big call to say 'sod it, I'm not starting'. The decision to start or not should come from the runner, not the RO, unless in extreme weather or other situation (like MRT advice).

Just look at the weather at this years 1000m peaks in Wales?

With Langdale in October awful weather wouldn't be that unusual, look at the weather at last years Snowdonia Marathon.

I agree many runners probably can't cope if the shit hit the fan, but there's also a silly attitude of must not DNF in runners, people carrying on when they should just accept they've guessed wrong, judged wrong and call it a day.

I had to make this call at Foel Fras this year, stayed in my vest too long, didn't put a jacket on, didn't check my map thiking I was right, then realised I'd gone wrong and was too cold so just called it a day. It was an easy to call to make for me, but I come from a walking/climbing background and turning around on a route wasn't that unusual, I supposed I have the 'the mountain will be there tomorrow' view drilled into me from that.

I'm not sure the Lakes runners realise how lucky they are, our races are increasingly getting shortened, overly marked, 'tamed' in a way. Look at races like Great Lakes, huge gaps between checkpoints, serious terrain, it's either cope or don't. I like that view.

I don't even think it's a case of knowing the area like the back of your hand. I ALWAYS take a pack in bad weather. If my ankle snaps or a leg breaks then even an easy path down can take an age increasing the onset of hypothermia etc. My pack consists of a warm top, space blanket, full waterproofs inc. hat, and phone. When I have gone out in particularly cold/bad weather I have also carried a 'kissu'. Many would say this is too much but for me it is about a balance between a sensible light running pack and minimising the risk should I become immobile. I also agree about other AL's in 'summer'. This year's Ennerdale was particularly cold and stormy. Had someone got lost and injured they would have got very cold and, yes there are a few people, but the pack does get strung out and each runner does need to ensure they are self sufficient. I know this wasn't the point of your question but I guess I'm just reinforcing the point.

In short, I always follow advice my Dad told me when I first started walking - take enough gear ro survive a night should you get lost or injured.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    agreed, you should not go out prepared for every thing to go well as when it goes it wrong you aren't prepared for the realities of the sh!t hitting the fan.

does that make sense?
    yes, but it's not quite what I was getting at

I've not been under-equipped for any of the races I've entered

I'm just interested to know how many people go up on their own in autumn-to-spring with minimal race-level kit?

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I'm just interested to know how many people go up on their own in autumn-to-spring with minimal race-level kit?
    It depends on the area. Running in the highlands in winter I carry a bit more gear (light weight shelter, rab synthetic duvet, gloves, hat etc), whereas round here I'd generally run with nothing or little, even at night. However I'd be a bit more wary about route choice and also be much more cautious in my speed, especially descending. It's not that I know the area here, it's just a road is normally within 1 hr walk, whereas in the Highlands a walkout can be a fair old way.

Iain, bobster: all makes perfect sense, and I agree - I certainly wasn't condoning the 'oh I'll be fine, it's an organised event' attitude, I just think it's inevitably something that people are susceptible to.

What made me think about this was when I went running solo in the Lakes the other week, I took a little 15ltr rucksack with some nice bits of extra gear and food to be on the safe side, and thought to myself 'hang on, I wasn't carrying this when I ran Duddon or Borrowdale'!

yeh - I think this everytime I go out on my own with a pack. I'm sure many people do go out with their 'race kit'. For me, there is nothing to be gained from taking this 'race kit' - after all, it's not like I'm doing an Alpine style ascent of a remote Patagonian peak.