Thread: Bad back on fell/off-road race

Bad back on fell/off-road race

Hopefully someone can offer a bit of advice here...

Basically I have no problem in training or during road races. However, when I do a fell race I nearly always end up with a nasty pain in my back. It tends to happen on the left side just below half way up my back (round about the kidney area I think) but has happened on both sides on occasions. It really takes my breath away when it happens and I have to really slow down. When I stop it goes away completely although if I prod my back quite hard I can still feel a pain in the area.

Generally it happens on a downhill and is not so bad on uphills. It seems to be happening more and more - at the weekend it happened on an off-road race which was only 6k long and undulating; definitely not hilly.

A few things which may or may not be relevant:

1. I'm asthmatic;

2. Trainers: I wear Asics Nimbus road shoes and Inov8 Roclite 315 trail/fell shoes;

3. I'm 33, male, 5ft 10in, 11st 8lb!

If anyone can offer any advice on what might be causing this, how to prevent it (other than "don't do fell/off-road races) etc I'd really appreciate it :-)

Re: Bad back on fell/off-road

I would say go to see a chiropractor, it sounds like a soft tissue problem but chiro treatment worked wonders for my whiplash which was also a soft tissue injury. If you can't afford this option then gentle strengthening exercises may help, your back could be struggling to stabilise you on uneven ground in which case wobble board work would help you.

Firstly and foremostly, think about professional medical help.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Thanks for the advice MB. I'm after a cheap solution preferably so will look into doing some back strengthening exercises first!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post

Firstly and foremostly, think about professional medical help.
    I would go with that. advice first

you could make it worse and then spend more money and time getting it better.

Quote Originally Posted by pete1976 View Post
    Thanks for the advice MB. I'm after a cheap solution preferably so will look into doing some back strengthening exercises first!
    also try put in some swimming sessions these helped me with my core stability when I first started running. I kept getting back pains but don't any more. It takes time but it will get better.

Beg, borrow or steal (or even buy) a copy of "Treat your own back" by Robin McKenzie. Lots of good sensible advice and a lot cheaper than visiting a chiropractor or osteopath.

The former particularly have a vested interest in keeping you coming back time & time again (at considerable expense).

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    Beg, borrow or steal (or even buy) a copy of "Treat your own back" by Robin McKenzie. Lots of good sensible advice and a lot cheaper than visiting a chiropractor or osteopath.

The former particularly have a vested interest in keeping you coming back time & time again (at considerable expense).
    My GP referred me to this book and the advice given in it made things worse for me - such that I then had to spend more at the physios - where I wished I had gone sooner. If you have a pronounced arch in your back naturally, it's not the best advice (probably more of a woman thing).