Yes the last couple of races, if memory serves me right, have seen a turnout of around 90-100. Some races round here seem to attract consistent numbers (Cardington Cracker, Long Mynd Valleys, Wrekin Wrecker), and others seem more prone to the variances in the calendar. Although 122 starters on a busy weekend, clash with Langdale, Birmingham Half Marathon, and atrocious weather, pretty good i reckon.

I'm also a climber Anthony, and after hanging on to the back of the leading 15 or so up the track, i was looking forward to some proper climbing up the first hill, where i can usually run most if not all the way. but there was no grip, and it was actually quicker to walk.

On the tricky descent through the trees, i actually considered going down it on my back-side, but them remembered there are some proper fell-runners behind me, such as Mark Agnew, etc, who are likely to come flying past any minute now, skipping down like a lamb, so i made a brave attempted to stay on my feet. True enough, Mark Agnew came crashing past... taking the whole 50 yard slope on his arse!

Luckily i caught and passed him on the next climb, and put enough distance between us so that he couldn't catch me as i tiptoed down the final descent!