Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WMRA Champion positive test

Re: WMRA Champion positive tes

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Iain it's obvious to me if one athlete is doping in a world event, then others are as well.
    On that basis, don't go to a GP if your a VET 60 - he may be from the Shipman College of medicine!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    On that basis, don't go to a GP if your a VET 60 - he may be from the Shipman College of medicine!
    haha that made me splutter
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Iain it's obvious to me if one athlete is doping in a world event, then others are as well. If the gaps between athletes are particularily big then I could make an exception, but for this race that isn't the case.
    If I took performance enhancing drugs then presumably I would improve. But that doesn't mean that everyone currently faster than me is already on drugs, I'm just not as good. It's possible that someone who gets caught after winning was always a worse runner to start with and never quite up there, and the drugs have pushed them that extra bit further to enable competition with the best of the clean and producing a close race. There doesn't have to be a big gap.

I accept that where one person is doping it could well mean they aren't the only one. That's still a long step from saying everyone, or the majority, is doping.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    If I took performance enhancing drugs then presumably I would improve. But that doesn't mean that everyone currently faster than me is already on drugs, I'm just not as good. It's possible that someone who gets caught after winning was always a worse runner to start with and never quite up there, and the drugs have pushed them that extra bit further to enable competition with the best of the clean and producing a close race. There doesn't have to be a big gap.

I accept that where one person is doping it could well mean they aren't the only one. That's still a long step from saying everyone, or the majority, is doping.
    I need about 50 litres of Kerosene to get anywhere near the front of a race

Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomcee View Post
    It's one thing being realistic, but a negative and cynical attitude without concrete evidence can only serve to make the sport more of a dead duck right?
    Out of interest do you think our (uk) best are 'on it'? I've spent time with some good runners who have achieved a lot and can say I've never seen anything to suggest they are, and yet they are still competitive with the best in the world on their day!
    For example Ricky Lightfoot came 3rd in the WMRLDC at the weekend, that's third in a world championship. I'm going to the Kinabalu race with him in a week for 10 days. For the benefit of those aspiring to the top I'll keep an eye on him and check to see what he's on and get back to you.
    Concrete evidence? It's one positive test after another in athletics, and that's taking into account the relatively few athletes that are being tested.

Telling our young people those facts isn't cynical it's honest.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I was going to mention Ricky. A good example.

Look at Anna Frost, competitive with the worlds best. I've spent quite a bit of time with her and there is just no chance that she has or would dope - it's just not a possibility. She's just bloody good.

I think it's sad that if someone is internationally competitive they are assumed to dope. TBH I think it says a lot about the people who accuse others of doping.

It's like fathers who mistrust their daughters boyfriends, because they know what they would do in their situation.
    Hang on a minute weren't you just accusing the sport of football of covering up? I thought athletes were clean until they fail a test.

Concrete evidence? It's one positive test after another in athletics, and that's taking into account the relatively few athletes that are being tested.

Telling our young people those facts isn't cynical it's honest.
    I'm reading that as 'all top athletes are on drugs and you shouldn't bother trying unless you're willing to put your health at risk to get to the top'

Has it occured to you that what you might be saying is not only dishonest but also unmotivating to people reading this? You can argue that you're being honest, but you have no concrete evidence??? I have no concrete evidence that the top people are clean, but I know from my own experience that with very little talent and a lot of hard work I've got to a level where I've run for England abroad and got a real kick from my running. There were people at school far more talented and if they had stuck at it, I'm sure they'd be competing at a higher level still!

Also...one positive test in mountain running after...hang on...no previous positive tests?

And to say that few athletes get tested? The first couple get tested at each WMRA grand prix event, that might not sound a lot, but look at the results, there's a lot of different athletes there.

To be honest the cynicism grates because a young athlete starting out doesn't know how good they can be, and hearing 'everyone at the top is on drugs' is going to be off putting to most.

Hang on a minute weren't you just accusing the sport of football of covering up? I thought athletes were clean until they fail a test.
    Footballers fail tests on a very very regular basis.

They never receive bans which threaten their careers.

Stam
    Davids
    Canavaro
    Kenny
    Xavier

it will be good news for the england camp,they will be upgraded to team gold medal and a bronze for sarah tunstall.

GB camp please.....