Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B.G.R. Info.

B.G.R. Info.

Hi, I am aware that a number of you have completed succesfully the B.G.R and i have noticed that this seems to join you in a club. What i would like to know is how many people have successfully completed it and how does it get ratified ?. Which Fell running/athletic club has the largest amount of B.G.R. completers currently ?. This one is for those that have done it just how hard was it ?.

Super Moderator

Re: B.G.R. Info.

Bob Wightman's website has masses of info regarding the BG www.bobwightman.co.uk including a link to the BG club website

Hope to be able to tell you how hard it is by next summer

It's arguably one of the most popular topics of discussion on the forum, have a good look in the LOng Distance Challenges bit for all manner of anecdotes, questionsm, answers, accounts etc. Bob's site is the business tho, and the book "Feet in the Clouds" provides a great insight into the round and the sport as a whole.

As for how hard it is, well that depends on so much, but noone finds it easy. Never met anyone who didn't enjoy it, and I loved it, despite being wetter than i;ve ever been before or since.

As for clubs, well Dark Peak and Macc seem to have tons, as do teh lakes clubs and i suspect many more. Even little Tattenhall, my local village club, has six.

DT has already linked to my site so to answer your other questions (though go to the BG club website for fuller info)

By end of 2008, there were 1461 members of the club and I think about a further 65 or so became members this year- that is persons who have done the round in 24hrs and decided to join and sent details of their round in to the club. This figure therefor doesn't include those who did it and told no-one nor does it include a count of people who have done it more than once.

Your round gets ratified by submitting details - times at each top, who accompanied you on each section and a short account of your round - to the club.

Club with most members - probably either Dark Peak or Macclesfield Harriers though BGSec may well be along shortly to put me right - there's a clue in his user name

How hard was it? Pretty hard - I wouldn't have wanted it much harder - but a lot depends on how fit you are, how much training you've done as well as conditions on the day.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob; 12-10-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: added this year's members

1529 is the accurate number which is current as at 12 September 2009.

As to the club with the most members, my guess is Dark Peak. I've never compiled the data and don't plan to.

How hard is it?

Hard enough.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

It's hard and it hurts. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    What a salesman, i'll have one
    Hills and Guinness!

Master

Saddleworth has a lot of conmpletions for such a small club
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    a quote for so many occasions.

Mark Hartell's speech spoke volumes of how hard it is and what thats worth.

Being superfit does not garantee you will get round, besides luck you have to really want it.
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 12-10-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: YTD Ta!

Hi tri-mind

"How hard was it?".

More knowledgable forummites will I hope correct me but I believe Bob Graham himself expressed the view that anyone who was "reasonably fit" could do it. Most would beg to differ, however I do think there is some truth in this view.

Drawing from my own experience, I ummmed and arrrrhed about giving it a try for three years - my training was never as complete or as thorough as I would have hoped for...so I backed away.

This year the opportunity arose and again I found it desperately tough committing because with commitment comes the possibility of failing. Once again my lead-in and training was not as perfect as I would have hoped for.

For a successful round you need to be mentally in absolutely the right place. Also you need to have put in the ascents and descents in the mountains during your training. Then if you are fortunate to have superb support, an injury-free lead-up and run, weather that is cool and quiet, long hours of daylight, and you are at least reasonably fit then you have a good chance of success.

But there are so many things that potentially can throw a spanner in the works. For me this is what made it so hard. But really worth doing.

Finding a way to deal with all the nagging doubts, the excuses about not being as fit as I wanted, and all the temptations to give-up or put if off until "later" was a huge challenge for me. At least as tough as the hard miles on the hills. But those were hard too!