Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ankle supports

Re: Ankle supports

I have suffered with a weak left ankle, after mentioning it to my doctor they referred me to a NHS physio.

The physio has taught me several different exercises to strengthen the ankle along with different ways to tape my ankle that offer different degrees of support.

Now when I go for a run I can support the ankle based on the reason for the run or what I think the conditions underfoot will be like, for example if I am entering a race or I know the conditions will be rough / rocky underfoot I will tape it to offer the most support. If I am going for a run where I will be following mainly defined paths and I should be able to see the ground underfoot I won’t add any support to my ankle, other times I will just add a bit of additional support.

The physio warned me against getting in to the habit of taping the ankle all the time as the ligaments / tendons / muscles would get use to the extra support and the ankle wouldn’t regain any strength
    I've learnt so much from my mistakes, I'm actually thinking about making a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    You might consider what I did when I went over on my ankle earlier in the year & it was turning every time I went out for a while. I strapped it up when racing but not when training. That meant I maximised my chances of finishing a race but still got the strengthening in during training runs - & I could slow down or stop if I had problems with the ankle.
    exactly what i did - wore it for Duddon to make sure I got round and then haven't put it on since, I suppose cos my ankles have strengthened up.

actually tomsdad, i might be able to do you a deal here ....

Cheers for al the comments,

you have all given me a lot of options to look into, Its reassuring hearing that ankles can become stronger with exposure to rough ground.

Tomsdad

Banned

Invest in a wobble board and stregnthen your ankles.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsdad View Post
    Cheers for al the comments,

you have all given me a lot of options to look into, Its reassuring hearing that ankles can become stronger with exposure to rough ground.

Tomsdad
    You definitely want to be wearing fell shoes with a very thin midsole like Walsh PBs or Inov8 Mudclaw 270s or X Talons. Don't try to run rough fell terrain in trainers that are sold as trail shoes or off road shoes. Fine on disused railway tracks but no use for fell running. Don't be confused by the fact that you might see the top fell runners or some old experienced gnarly ones running in the fells or even racing in trainers with quite a lot of cushioning. They've already got very strong ankles so can get away with it.

I've never used supports or strapping as my old mate Mike Rose told me it would weaken my ankles when I first started fell running. I've had 3 bad sprains (one from missing a step while shopping, one from playing with the dog and one from racing in poor fitting fell shoes) and I've recovered to full strength and stability quite quickly using strengthening excercises. I know people who habitually strap their ankles and they seem to have chronically weak ankles.

And you don't want to be going over on your ankle when you are half inching someone's piece of cake either.

Quote Originally Posted by RichT View Post
    You definitely want to be wearing fell shoes with a very thin midsole like Walsh PBs or Inov8 Mudclaw 270s or X Talons. Don't try to run rough fell terrain in trainers that are sold as trail shoes or off road shoes. Fine on disused railway tracks but no use for fell running. Don't be confused by the fact that you might see the top fell runners or some old experienced gnarly ones running in the fells or even racing in trainers with quite a lot of cushioning. They've already got very strong ankles so can get away with it.

I've never used supports or strapping as my old mate Mike Rose told me it would weaken my ankles when I first started fell running. I've had 3 bad sprains (one from missing a step while shopping, one from playing with the dog and one from racing in poor fitting fell shoes) and I've recovered to full strength and stability quite quickly using strengthening excercises. I know people who habitually strap their ankles and they seem to have chronically weak ankles.
    Hi Rich T,

Funnily enough, I wear Walsh PB's, but they are still nice yellow / black & shiny due lack of use!
    Have started doing balance excercises. so I am looking forward to letting go on the downhill sections when my ankles are a bit stronger

Tomsdad

That's good. Play "catch" while standing on one leg. Get your partner to get progressively more unpredictable with where they throw the ball. If you've no one to play with, a wall will do - if its rough stone the return will be unpredictable so make your ankles work harder to keep your one legged balance. Make sure you use each leg equally. Tennis ball seems ok.