Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain below the calf muscles

Pain below the calf muscles

Having been running happily all year virtually injury-free, in the last 3 weeks or so I've developed a pain in my left knee (but that's an old condition brought back to the surface by recently running down Ben Nevis in big boots & climbing gear,) and a sort of soreness in both my legs below the calf muscles and above the Achilles. My legs got really stiff there after an 8 mile run on Sunday to the extent that after sitting down for an hour or so after the run, I had trouble walking correctly for a couple of minutes until the stiffness subsided

Anyone else had this, and any ideas on what I should do about it ?
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Re: Pain below the calf muscle

I'm 9 weeks into a come-back after 8 years off (complete disillusionment after the foot and mouth debacle). I found that my calf muscles had shortened massively and the symptoms you're describing were what I got when I tried to run in my Walshes again.
    Doing some of my training in road shoes with a thicker heel eased the symptoms, but what really got my legs working again was doing some step-ups in bare feet. I don't want to get into the whole barefoot running debate but the calf muscle / achilles extensions that the barefoot step-ups encouraged meant that a couple of weeks in I was able to start training properly.
    I don't know if this is any use when you've not had a lay-off, but if you've got used to thicker soles in say a walking boot then it could be that fell shoes are stretching the back of your legs?

Cheers Tinyman - will give the barefoot step-ups a go.

I also had this problem after a long fast descent in a race last year, as youve said calfs seem to seize up. Mine were especially tight in the morning but loosened up throughout the day. It seemed as though running on the fells was worsening the problem. I just focused on road/trail running for a week or two and it went away, strange realy. Guess its important to vary your training abit to prevent these things.

think this is probably just a 'stress issue' - i.e., you're too suddenly using ligaments / muscles that aren't used to the stress

if so, it'll get better as the area strengthens, after a bit of rest to allay the immediate symtpoms

Thanks guys - I think you're right, and the pain does seem to be easing, especially after throwing in a few shorter road runs (euch...)

Now i can focus on rehabilitating my knee as well...

Actually, I've still been getting this calf pain, it happened quite suddenly in a trail half-mara I did a week ago (in mile 8). I had to stop and massage it for a minute before carrying on, and then got a sports massage afterwards as I could hardly walk after crossing the finish line (not sure what hurt more though the pain or the massage !)

So... I bought a pair of Skins Powersox and tested them out on a long hill-run yesterday (yes, in the monsoon rain conditions). Not a whisper of the symptoms - one of my better buys I think.

Are those compression sock thingys?

I thought they were just a fashion statement

They now have compression arm socks lol, I bet next will be a full body compression suit....

Sounds like your soleus muscle to me, below the calf but above the achilles. I have trouble with mine in my left leg, it tightens up & causes me foot problems. Lots & Lots of stretching (normal calf stretch while pushing against a wall then bend leg back leg at knee until you feel strecth in lower calf) + sports massage + acupuncture if really bad (my brother resorted to this & despite much scepticism it did sort him out) Getting a good stretch can be hard if you've had ankle injuries as the ankle joint won't flex enough for you to get the stretch in the soleus
    Good luck, hope you get sorted

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    Are those compression sock thingys?

I thought they were just a fashion statement

They now have compression arm socks lol, I bet next will be a full body compression suit....
    here you go ukhursty - the suit seems to be a reality already

http://www.skins.net/gb/en/default.aspx