Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: a jnr fra relay ?

Re: a jnr fra relay ?

just an idea....here in north cumbria there's a grouping of clubs called "team north cumbria" which draws juniors from three or four local clubs (carlisle aspatria, eden runners etc) so that together they have the critical mass to compete with bigger clubs in the northwest in the athletics (ie track and field) league.

you could use a similar approach if you thought one of the problems with the junior fell relay idea was a lack of numbers in any one club.

the problem I see with junior relays is that if have to scratch around to make up a team, many of the 3rd or 4th stage runners can end up running the whole of their stage on their own rather than competing in a pack with others. This isn't much fun for them, especially if their team is coming last or nearly last.

In my experience team events rather than relays work better for juniors.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

I think BFMK (will that do?) is right.

If you picture a 10m, 20m and 30m leg (approx) for the 3 runners in a relay team. I can see that when the last leg runners are out they will already be so spread as hardly to see each other.

I am sure that an imaginative idea will be put forward, but it will require careful thought.

I think even Bashir would say 10 metre, 20 metre and 30 metre legs would be too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    If you picture a 10m, 20m and 30m leg (approx) for the 3 runners in a relay team. I can see that when the last leg runners are out they will already be so spread as hardly to see each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhead View Post
    I think I heard Witton Park suggesting Clwyd as a possible future championship venue which would be great (although the politics of an English Champs race in Wales may be an issue).
    By the way the link from the Welsh FRA site for the Clwydian junoir series was a dead end this year, with only the last race being advertised on this forum, (unfortunately clashing with the final FRA Junior race).
    I'll try to sort the weblinks this year - I try to advertise things but its a matter of so many hours in the day. Drop me a note if you have any questions.

It needs some imaginative thinking but some sort of team event would be good. I'm always trying to find ways of including everyone involved, fast or slow.

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Lecky View Post
    I think even Bashir would say 10 metre, 20 metre and 30 metre legs would be too short!
    I'm sure that you know I was meaning minutes and not metres!

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhead View Post
    I think I heard Witton Park suggesting Clwyd as a possible future championship venue which would be great (although the politics of an English Champs race in Wales may be an issue).
    By the way the link from the Welsh FRA site for the Clwydian junoir series was a dead end this year, with only the last race being advertised on this forum, (unfortunately clashing with the final FRA Junior race).
    Did I?

I don't remember that - must have been a late night post after a wee dram

It's a decent idea though, so it could have been me

I think BFMK (will that do?) is right.

I am sure that an imaginative idea will be put forward, but it will require careful thought.
    Imaginative idea being worked on but not enough beer drunk and discussion had but I guarantee when its fit to unveil it will be cheered home as a cracker!
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

Did I?

I don't remember that - must have been a late night post after a wee dram

It's a decent idea though, so it could have been me
    It was probably at the junior do. I didn't see you drinking but I think you also suggested a parents and kids relay.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Lets see

Wharfedale
    Calder Valley
    Todmorden (maybe)
    Helm Hill
    Keighley and Craven
    Blackburn (????)
    Rossendale
    Skipton
    Horwich
    CLEM

Im sure some of the welsh, scottish and irish could get over if you had international teams as well

Still hardly an abundance
    Eryri Harriers host a Tuesday night series junior section, which is very popular. I'm sure a team could come from Eryri / Menai Track and Field juniors.