Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longest time injured?

Longest time injured?

What is your longest time off injured from a running induced injury, until you could run a mile say?

I am currently on 41/2 months with achilles problem, much of it unable to walk or bike as well.
    Becoming very ****** off. Moley
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Re: Longest time injured?

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    What is your longest time off injured from a running induced injury, until you could run a mile say?

I am currently on 41/2 months with achilles problem, much of it unable to walk or bike as well.
    Becoming very ****** off. Moley
    I don't know you Moley - is that 41-42 months or 4 and a half months?

I hope it's the second - even that's bad enough!

I think the worst I've had in the 6 years I've been "running" is about 4 weeks for a badly twisted ankle in the David Staff up Darwen Tower.
    I turned on it at the top, it was just starting to blizzard and I was in a vest only. 2.5 mile to go, mostly descent - I thought mountain rescue, or hobble back - then I saw a team mate closing behind - and the cold had numbed it a little.
    I held off my team mate, but my ankle was up like a football.

It's the only time I've had physio and it was worth it - I reckon it saved my a good few weeks.

7 weeks after my fall and leg op on my knee in August this year! Couldn't walk at all for three weeks.

They said not to run on it for 12 weeks - sports Physio said after 6 to start doing a bit and it's working!! Now 11 weeks and i'm def on the mend - running back with group 1 at our club (although am the back marker!) and done a few speed sessions and been back at the off road running for a couple of weeks too!

I seem to have lost all my speed but it will come back.....just have to be careful not to do too much but it is very tempting! Lots of massage, and ice after each run is helping too. It's funny looking back at silly things i wrote while i was sat at home unable to put any weight on it or bend it - i honestly felt i would not be able to run again and i'm even more greatful every time i get back from a run without an injury

Hi Moley

Ended up with a foot dislocation in early May.... managed to do limited runs over the summer. I had an operation in August which involved re-alligning and pinning bones and a joint replacement.

As a result of having the joint replacement I've been told that I can't run again.... ever. I know there's worse things that can happen... but am still reeling a bit from this news.

My "injury time" from running looks like its going to be very long. Like you, I haven't been able to walk or bike and am getting rid of my crutches this week. I was aware of the potential running prognosis when I saw the consultant in the summer and although a bit of a reluctant cyclist I hope I will learn to love it as much as running. I did get a very nice bike in anticipation......... http://www.speeds-cycles.co.uk/road-...e-compact.html

Last edited by huf&puf; 31-10-2009 at 01:34 AM.
    I can do down hill

That is a truly horrible prognosis and I wish you all the best - never say never. Mate of mine is a very keen distance walker, he had surgery on his ankle (now held together with scrap metal ) to remedy an old motorbike injury. He was told never to walk but carried on for a few years, he's wrecked it for walking now though. Asked to have his foot amputated as he logically reckoned he could continue walking on a prosthetic one and was still young enough (under 50 then) to handle it. The NHS didn't quite see things his way and refused .
    I hate biking on the road, with a vengence, but the MTB at least gets you in the countryside and not quite so boring. If I had to I could become competative at that I think. Best of luck anyway.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

still injured with PF after over a year. I have put on about 10lbs in wgt which is not so bad as people say i look fit now instead of like a skeleton,trying to mange the injury and have recently done a couple of 2 - 3 mile easy runs.
    Still have the foot pain and feel that if i try to run more it will give again.
    Putting my running gear on now and giving it another try ,it is a beatifull day out there .

30th Sept 08 knackered tendon & torn PF in foot. Prognosis = no running for 10-12 weeks but could still bike. 15th Nov felt odd knee pain on long road ride, ignored for few rides then really too painful. Prognosis = no biking or "proper" walking for 6 weeks. Never got better & ended up being damaged cartilage which = knee op mid Feb. (V bad winter & got quite depressed) Got back to a bit of jogging around April time, had a couple of months of slow running then fell off my mountain bike & totally mashed my ankle & couldn't run for another 3 months
    Back running again now (cautiously, have to managed all these niggly injuries). Did my first fell race in 13 months last weekend then came straight down with a stinking cold of the wobbly leg variety Ho hum.

But every cloud n all that......I did learn to swim (front crawl as wasn't allowed to do breast stroke coz of knee) & am keeping this going & really enjoying it (can't believe I am saying that, I used to HATE water) & I took up pilates which has done me a world of good. Planning to have a go at some triathlons next year, a new sport for me to get obsessed with

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

9 months Nov 08-Aug 09 ITB.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

I dont think you can say ITB ever goes away?

Ive had my ITB problem exactly a year on sunday...and just to celebrate the occasion they've started playing up again.

Al - whatever the hip/ thigh speed problem I have IT IS NOW 3 years+
    Having siad that running longer and slower has let me discover the Ultras- so Iam pleased about that!!