Thread: B.G.R. In just under 2 Years.

B.G.R. In just under 2 Years.

As a celebration of my 40 th birthday and to make some money for charity i want to do the B.G.R. . I have plenty of help from experienced fell runners regarding the sort of training needed. I have asked others but i do value your opinions.I have done a 16 mile and 30 mile this year slowly admittedly do you guys think i have a chance on that timescale ?. Also what is the situation with registering does the club say if others are trying that day so you can pick a day not being used or is only 1 attempt per day allowed as not to congest the fells. I have seen the harvey map is it useful ?. Can any of you offer any other useful advice whatever that may be.

Re: B.G.R. In just under 2 Yea

I think 2 years is more than enough time for a reasonably fit runner. You just need to adapt your fitness to the fells. You can attempt it whenever you choose. Most people go for midsummer for maximum light. You simply notify the BG club (details on the website) and go for it. If you do go for a date on a weekend on June 18th or 25th, you are guaranteed lots of company, from maybe around 10 other attempts.
    website here http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by tri-mind View Post
    Also what is the situation with registering does the club say if others are trying that day so you can pick a day not being used or is only 1 attempt per day allowed as not to congest the fells. I have seen the harvey map is it useful ?
    I'll deal with these 2 questions.

The planning and organising of attempts is a private matter for the contender(s). The Club only asks for registration to help ensure transparency and has no authority to ask contenders not to go on certain dates. Days with multiple attempts are common.

If you want peace and quiet, relatively, avoid the Dark Peak BG day if you can find out the date. The weekend nearest the longest day is always thronged also.

If you want real peace and quiet, do what Headless did and pick the shortest day; he didn't see a single soul not connected with the attempt all day.

The map to me is primarily useful as a neat way of having all the sections in one easy to use location. It isn't any more use than any other map to those who have done the relevant reccieing.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Oh good i was not sure but i find having a goal helps me focus. Also the 16 mile was a fell race and the 30 mile was the round rotherham. Had to retire as hammy playing up. I certainly will be making all my training and running specific to the task at hand. Thanks Alan.

Hi

I gradually built up my mileage over the two years before my attempt, I would recommend a few events from the Vasque Ultra Running Championship such as the Fellsman to get used to time on your feet. Also volunteer to support others it gives you a good feel for the pace and a good way to learn the route. Also recce the legs and get good support for your attempt. Have a look back through my blog for the training in the last six months prior to mine and follow some of the links to other blogs, there is loads of information out there.

Thank you Donkarlo i will that's very kind and useful.

Hi Tri
    I started my build up on Christmas Day and went on 30th May
    for 5 months the BG was my only real target.
    I have over 20 years of background and a decent pedigree.

2 years is plenty enough (or assume now 18 months).
    I'd suggest that you use the next year as a general opportunity to develop your long distance fell background. A few exploratory recces and do a set of long races.
    Then six months specifically aimed at the BG, recce-ing and bulding the climb.
    To me 2 yrs / 18 months is too long to maintain a single focus