Thread: The Capricorn

The Capricorn

Not strictly a 'race' as such, but I've entered this year.

Has anyone got any previous experience of this event?
    He's big and he's good.

Re: The Capricorn

Yep, I've done it a few times and really enjoy it. I expect either me or the missus will do it this year. It's like doing a 2 day MM, but without that horrible pack on your back! I.e. it makes it all enjoyable. Great event for starting out on navigation events.

One of my favourites (missed last year thanks to a streaming cold though). The courses seem to have got a bit shorter in recent years though

Come on that's the best bit!!

Quote Originally Posted by macc ladd View Post
    but without that horrible pack on your back!

Don't be tempted to be overambitious when choosing the course to run- Remember the distances quoted are either straight line or optimum route
    - neither of which you're likely to do on the actual day.
    But it's always been a great weekend as far as I'm concerned - has the actual location been revealed yet? (it was rumoured Longendale)

I've entered the C course, 18km day 1 and 12km day 2.

Did the Mourne Mountain Marathon years ago, so I'm expecting to be out on the hill for anything between 3 and 5 hours. Just starting to build the mileage now and planning a few long days out soon.

It's in the Peak District, but no specifics just yet...
    Last edited by Silly Big Fella; 05-04-2007 at 02:32 PM.
    He's big and he's good.

Did this last year, and enjoyed it lots. Looking forward to having another go this year (hope it's a bit cooler!).

The controls were from Joe Lee (same as the omm), which may be different from what you're used to (doesn't bleep, and takes a bit longer than an SI card to register). They did all work though.

Last year, we were given control descriptions the night before the event. It turned out that it was possible to locate one control from these ). When I got to it the following day, a cunning person had left a bottle there for him/herself... (it was very very hot). I don't know if they'll do that again though.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie View Post
    One of my favourites (missed last year thanks to a streaming cold though). The courses seem to have got a bit shorter in recent years though
    I think there used to be an elite class, where the distances would have have been much greater, not any more though. The day 2 courses have always been a tad on the short side - the organisers need to get home for their tea as well as us, you know

yep, there was elite initially - it was merged with the A to make a slightly longer A several years ago, but the last one I did (2005) the A seemed much shorter than I remember possibly because the terrain was so fast on day 2? I quite like having a shorter day 2 as it makes the logistics of getting home in time for work on Monday a bit easier!

I've had a confirmation email to say I'm in, but when do they send further details?
    He's big and he's good.