Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another year

Another year

So as we approach the end of 2009, have you completed what you set out to do? did you have a plan? or did you just go off the seat of your pants.
    I set out at the start of the year with a one - two year plan, to race more, stop smoking, lose weight in month 11 of this plan i have stopped smoking
    Injury in June has put the racing on hold till well????? i aim to race again on the 31-12 at the free beer one
    My weight is still an issue with me and is harder to keep under control with the no fags thing, i think i substituted food with nicotine if that makes sense.

But hey am pleased with life

So how have you done, did you have a plan, can you be arsed with plans?
    Going to try again....

Re: Another year

Congratulations on stopping smoking Amex - keep it up. Good luck with the resumption of your running.

This year, I planned to do most of the Fat Boys championship races - TICK
    Do a triathlon - TICK
    Enjoy my year's races - TICK
    Retain both my local's trophies - TICK

Next year I plan to
    1. learn how to navigate (this will probably be quite humbling and embarassing, but should help),
    2. maybe do an olympic distance triathlon (not sure of this yet),
    3. do some different races and some more fun ones
    And above all, enjoy myself.

Master and MR

For me personally I have done a lot
    Not so many races this year but ive managed to train 40odd miles a week and get somegood placings along the way.

Ive met loads of people on the fells and had some fantastic times along the way. had some laughs and had some great racing.

Ive seen some sights as well

Well, after injuring myself quite badly at last years OMM I decided to try my hand at racing the bike, which I did and enjoyed but my God is it hard!!! Much harder than plodding up and down hills to be honest.

I did a few good things, Tour de Galles with Msrs Wheeze and Toffer was top class!

Three Peaks Cyclocross was awesome...

Everest Marathon to come, leaving for Nepal on the 15th...

And then there is my second XMOTF coming up as well, alwasy a hight point of the calendar

Oh and my friend Amex stopped smoking

All this leaves me with a major dilemma for next year: do I concentrate on racing the bike or on fell running, now that I can run again?

South Wales Traverse is on the cards, as well as a 12 hour TT, Three Peaks Cyclocross again and I am sure Toffer and Wheeze will come up with something interesting to do...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Needed to celebrate our Half Century but nasty injury put co-celebrant out of the running so hatched, plotted and delivered our first ever all-bike epic. Tour De Galles seems to be a resounding success.

Plan for next year? Come up with another something that all the 'crew' can do. That means that Molehill will have to either:
    a) control his naughty achilles
    b) learn to cycle.

Looking at the way its going with him (and Toffer) I reckon it HAS to be plan b!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Super Moderator

Amex, if you do nothing else in 2009 than pack in smoking for good you'll have had a great year Hang in there mate and see you at XOTF

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Needed to celebrate our Half Century but nasty injury put co-celebrant out of the running so hatched, plotted and delivered our first ever all-bike epic. Tour De Galles seems to be a resounding success.

Plan for next year? Come up with another something that all the 'crew' can do. That means that Molehill will have to either:
    a) control his naughty achilles
    b) learn to cycle.

Looking at the way its going with him (and Toffer) I reckon it HAS to be plan b!!
    Moley, I am happy to teach you how to ride a bike Dutch style
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

I was thirty in September and was planning 30 challenges just for the laugh but since my LCL ligament went at Three Shires it’s all dead in the water, my list is incomplete and I haven’t looked at it for over a month. The only thing that is reasonably certain is that I’ll be doing the Great North Swim, the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride is still in the balance. I’ve seen little improvement in the knee in 7 weeks and as far as any challenging runs go if I can do Ingleborough in under an hour that’ll probably be the lot.

Get a load of Captain Bringdown
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I was thirty in September and was planning 30 challenges just for the laugh but since my LCL ligament went at Three Shires it’s all dead in the water, my list is incomplete and I haven’t looked at it for over a month. The only thing that is reasonably certain is that I’ll be doing the Great North Swim, the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride is still in the balance. I’ve seen little improvement in the knee in 7 weeks and as far as any challenging runs go if I can do Ingleborough in under an hour that’ll probably be the lot.

Get a load of Captain Bringdown
    Hang in there pal $hit happens, i have learnt over many years of injury when you do get the chance to run, do so and enjoy every step.

DT can't wait i have my ABBA outfit sorted!!
    Going to try again....

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

My goals were getting less and less ambitious as my injury picked up at the end of last year progressed. In the end, just wanted to get back in the hills again (check).

If I could finish the year with FTOP under my belt, I'll be a happy bunny. Fingers crossed.

Away from running, anyone find the number 30 gives a lot of cause for a whole life re-evaluation thing? As I approach the magic number at the end of this year, I'm feeling a bit inadequate with where my life is vs what I thought it might be at this stage as a whippersnapper.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk