Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Loughrigg Fell Race

Results are up:

http://fellrunner.org.uk/results.php?id=2743

Lost property:

A small pink rucsac. Going to Oxfam in 7 days.
    Why walk when you can run.

Anybody having a run out tonight?
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

would be rude not too :-) Been wet last few days in Ambleside , just stopped raining now , hopefully brighten up

Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    would be rude not too :-) Been wet last few days in Ambleside , just stopped raining now , hopefully brighten up
    Good man, see you there! Been windy as anything around here but I'm about 60 miles from Ambleside!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Anyone else doing this? I'm currently holed up in Esquires, Ambleside, getting more nervous by the second!

Thanks a lot to Ben and his team for another great race.
    Last edited by L.F.F.; 20-04-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Loughrigg Fell Race

Springtime is evidently here as new leaves start to dress the naked tree branches and flowers spring into life. All made possible by increased air temperatures, warmer soil and longer hours of daylight. Apparently it’s something to do with the equinox; the sun crossing the celestial equator. In our house the arrival of springtime is less scientific. Simply put; it coincides with the start of the midweek fell races. It’s also alternatively labelled by my wife as the ‘silly season’. Reason being that race choices are at a seemingly endless supply if the mood so takes. I once did 17 fell races in 17 days, I was most definitely in the mood that year. Admittedly that particular bout of race addiction has never been repeated in such extremes as I value my marital status.

Last week, Rossendale Harriers hosted ‘Pete Hartley Memorial Liver Hill’. Traditionally it’s usually my first midweeker of the year. I wasn’t in attendance this year as a family holiday in Whitby had curtailed my appearance. We’d hired a cottage and invited Alison’s parents as Whitby has always been one of their favourite holiday destinations. At roughly the time that the race would’ve been starting I’m wishing I’d have made the long journey from Whitby to Rossendale, as the situation I found myself in was far more challenging than a BS category fell race.

Early evening and I’m relaxing in the living room of the cottage, enjoying the company of my in-laws whilst Alison is otherwise engaged having a shower. Ken my father-in-law has impaired hearing. He’s doing a crossword but not before he’d taken out his hearing aid and placed it upon his lap. His concentration levels are advanced if he can’t hear what’s going on around him...apparently. Moments later he mumbles, “Arnold Schwarzenegger film, ten letters”. I laugh to myself and leave him to ponder for awhile, after all he’s in an advanced state of concentration. Margaret my mother-in-law and I are watching the local news, I’m content, spending time with people I love dearly.

My state of relaxed contentment doesn’t last!

How I wish the newsreader had given prior warning that the next article may be distressing for some viewers. The article in question examined the complications experienced by some ladies following the aftermath of vaginal mesh surgery. Margaret informs me she’s surprised she’s never experienced pelvic organ prolapse especially after bearing five children, all of which weighed in above average. “Our Steven was massive” she proudly proclaimed. I didn’t know what to say, so just nodded my head in a state of bemused agreement. I could’ve gone for a ‘high-five’ but considering the circumstances deemed it inappropriate. I’m feeling extremely uncomfortable, no longer content, admittedly not as uncomfortable as the unfortunate ladies on the news, but I’m certainly out of my comfort zone. I’m not accustomed to talking about ‘ladies problems’ especially with my 84 year old mother-in-law. I make my excuses and tell Margaret the dog needs a walk. Before I leave I shoutout to Ken, “Terminator” and informed him “I’ll be back”. His confused look suggests he’s either not heard or understood my Arnie references. Luckily for him he definitely didn’t hear the vagina monologues...if only I’d have been so lucky.

Swiftly moving on from fannies! What of Loughrigg fell race?

This year Loughrigg Fell Race is to be my first midweeker. On the drive up towards the Lake District I’m informed that I’ve got into the habit of shouting out “Nissan” every time I see an X-Trail that’s older than the one I had, before sadly, it went kaput. Alison says I’ve “Nissan Tourettes”. I refute her wild accusations by consciously withholding any urges that would prove my wife’s observation to indeed be correct. Just outside Ambleside I inadvertently shout out “Nissan” after seeing an immaculate 15 year old X-Trail. Credit where it’s due, Japanese craftsmanship is the bollocks and my wife’s observations are correct. I admit defeat, I really need to get over my old car and stop acting like a ‘wuss’...so I’m told.

Loughrigg is organised by the charismatic Ben Abdelnoor. Not only is Ben an extremely talented fellrunner, he’s also a thespian. I’ve heard he’ll be treading the boards next week in an Ambleside Players production called Death by Fatal Murder. It seems inappropriate to use the idiom “break a leg” when directed towards a runner, so I’ll just say “good luck Ben with your theatrical escapades”. If the play is half as good as Loughrigg fell race the theatre goers are in for a treat.

Loughrigg is your typical ‘there and back’ short fell race. A mad dash from Ambleside’s Rothay Park is required unless you’re not fussed about queuing at the bottleneck that forms at the ornate stone footbridge that straddles the River Rothay. From there on it’s uphill all the way to the summit cairn and then return...it’s that simple, even little red flags are there to aid navigation.

I like a ‘there and back’ race, they can be a sociable affair. Words of encouragement are often shouted back and forth with the passing of friends and acquaintances. It’s also heartening to see so many younger runners actively enjoying fellrunning at the moment. The future of this amazing sport looks like being an exciting one...beltin!

Many thanks to Ben and Britta and all those involved. Sorry I didn’t see who the race winners were, as there was a Thai restaurant in Ambleside that had our names on it.

Let ‘silly season’ commence!
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Hi Darren, I just love that conversation with the mother-in-law. Reminds me of one of my Bowland clubmates who met his wife-to-be whilst working down south. It was only after they became engaged that he brought her up to meet his parents. Being a polite sort of girl, his intended asked his mother, "Are you keeping well, Mrs 'X'?"
    Back came his mother's reply, "Not really my dear, I'm just recovering from a bad rash on the lips of my vagina."
    What an absolutely cracking first sentence to deliver to your future daughter-in-law.
    My mate was more embarassed than his fiance; but that's his mother for you, whatever is on her mind is what she comes out with.

Ian.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 12-04-2019 at 05:40 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Super Moderator
    Tip top reportage as ever Darren. And nice input from WD too