Thread: Six Dales Circuit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Six Dales Circuit

Anyone else doing this on Saturday? It was a good run last year, apart from the last bit up the greasy limestone in Biggin Dale.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Re: Six Dales Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Anyone else doing this on Saturday? It was a good run last year, apart from the last bit up the greasy limestone in Biggin Dale.
    Planning on being there, having missed the last two years. Looks like it might be a bit damp....
    Hayfield Fell Races - https://www.t42.org.uk/hayfield/

I'm doing it too. Really enjoyed it last year. Looking forward to the cheesy oatcakes at Monyash again.

Anyone going this year? Saturday 12th Nov?
    ( Though I note it is the 'Leg it Round Lathkill' the day after...)

It's also Roaches Fell Race the day after. I'll be there (at both).

I was hoping to do this as my White Peak "fix" for the year (having missed Dovedale Dipper), but falls on a bad weekend family-wise
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

I last did this around 20 years ago with a pal as a walk and recall getting back to Biggin just as darkness fell.

So on Saturday I decided to give it another go as a runner. I had to scrape frost off my windscreen for the first time this autumn so it was a chilly start to the day. It had warmed up a bit by my 0830 start time. There were around 20 runners among the 160 entrants with those walking having set off earlier.

Clockwise this year, on a very scenic route over varying terrain which I know like the back of my hand so no navigation issues. A great deal of mud and many flooded footpaths, some of which have suffered great damage with sections having been washed away. In the sunshine it was very warm but chilly in the deeper, narrower dales and there was still frost in Lathkill Dale at 11am.

There were three checkpoints, Hartington, Monyash and Middleton by Youlgreave. I stopped briefly at Hartington but took 5 minutes or so at Monyash, where a delicious hot cheesy oatcake was consumed and similarly at Middleton where a cup of tea and jam sandwich was eaten. All was kept down and no digestion issues whatsoever.

I was the first and fastest finisher, but not the winner as it wasn't a race, in 4hrs 29min. I was pleased with that time given the underfoot conditions and as it included the checkpoint stops. My Garmin told me I had covered 26.13 miles, a little further than the stated 25.5 miles, but might be accounted for by a lot of zig-zagging to avoid flooded paths and muddy fields!

A delicious Sausage Casserole and Rice Pudding at the end in Biggin Village Hall. A very well organised and great value event. I must re-join the LDWA
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 13-11-2023 at 01:40 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;685785]

I was the first and fastest finisher, but not the winner as it wasn't a race, in 4hrs 29min./QUOTE]

For you, after a road marathon, events like this must just be - nowt but a stroll in the park.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    For you, after a road marathon, events like this must just be - nowt but a stroll in the park.
    I've never run this event, (further than I could ever run), but I have cycled through all the checkpoint villages and walked most of the paths in the area, so can appreciate it's not going to be a flat or fast course. 4hrs 29min for what is almost marathon distance, with 10+ minutes for stops and difficult underfoot conditions, on such a course is pretty awesome. No wonder you keep winning your age category at races