Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Six Dales Circuit

Re: Six Dales Circuit

I can't do it this year: Mrs Splatcher's off for the weekend to visit her parents so I've got to look after the puppy & 0,1 or 2 kids. Have a good run all of you. I'll bump into you again eventually Nick: are you in for the Tour de Helvellyn this year?
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Yes Splatcher. Entry in and accommodation booked. :thumbup:

I shall be doing this as a walker now.
    I've been feeling ill all week, I'm just not up to running right now.

(Very annoyed!).

Quote Originally Posted by Joester View Post
    I shall be doing this as a walker now.
    I've been feeling ill all week, I'm just not up to running right now.

(Very annoyed!).
    Looks like the sun will be shining so just treat it as a lovely day out and eat as many oatcakes, biscuits and the like as possible - sounds like you need to get your strength back!!

Will be the first time I have done this one - really looking forward to it.

Oh don't worry about that! I'll be the handsome one with the orange kid's winter Buff on, if I haven't got my mouthful of homemade scone (etc) I'll be cheering all you lucky runners on.

Have fun!

Attachment 5350Attachment 5351

Running folk in Beresford Dale.

We were horribly hungover after getting carried away in the Waterloo Inn, so we were the first walkers you'd have passed...
    I'd started to feel alright in the last 5 or 6 miles, but by that time it was getting dark, we finished with headtorches.

Joester, it sounds as though you had a right good day out. I uploaded my pictures last night. I don't recall seeing a volatile haze hanging over any of the walkers on the early start. I'll just go back and check to see if I can spot you. :wink:

I wasn't amongst that lot. Despite only staying about 300 yards away, we were late (the others wouldn't get up!).
    I said 'good morning' to you from my car as we drove in.

We finally got going at about 8:20.

I last did this around 20 years ago with a pal as a walk and recall getting back to Biggin just as darkness fell.

So on Saturday I decided to give it another go as a runner. I had to scrape frost off my windscreen for the first time this autumn so it was a chilly start to the day. It had warmed up a bit by my 0830 start time. There were around 20 runners among the 160 entrants with those walking having set off earlier.

Clockwise this year, on a very scenic route over varying terrain which I know like the back of my hand so no navigation issues. A great deal of mud and many flooded footpaths, some of which have suffered great damage with sections having been washed away. In the sunshine it was very warm but chilly in the deeper, narrower dales and there was still frost in Lathkill Dale at 11am.

There were three checkpoints, Hartington, Monyash and Middleton by Youlgreave. I stopped briefly at Hartington but took 5 minutes or so at Monyash, where a delicious hot cheesy oatcake was consumed and similarly at Middleton where a cup of tea and jam sandwich was eaten. All was kept down and no digestion issues whatsoever.

I was the first and fastest finisher, but not the winner as it wasn't a race, in 4hrs 29min. I was pleased with that time given the underfoot conditions and as it included the checkpoint stops. My Garmin told me I had covered 26.13 miles, a little further than the stated 25.5 miles, but might be accounted for by a lot of zig-zagging to avoid flooded paths and muddy fields!

A delicious Sausage Casserole and Rice Pudding at the end in Biggin Village Hall. A very well organised and great value event. I must re-join the LDWA
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 13-11-2023 at 01:40 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;685785]

I was the first and fastest finisher, but not the winner as it wasn't a race, in 4hrs 29min./QUOTE]

For you, after a road marathon, events like this must just be - nowt but a stroll in the park.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".