Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blurred Vision?

Re: Blurred Vision?

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    Oh, I am glad someone started this thread. I sometimes get jagged lights (like migraine aura) when fell running but not when I am doing road running. I do suffer from migraines but they don't normally have flashing lights beforehand and often I can just get the lights/tunnel vision after or (worryingly) during a fell race but it doesn't lead to a headache. I was wondering if it is the jarring from fast rocky descents? Could explain your blurry vision too. It is disconcerting and doesn't help when trying to find paths through tough terrain. A friend reckoned it was dehydration related. Any thoughts?
    I've had the same a couple of times when running on long off-road races. I suspect it was digestion-related. I get these at other times too, & indigestion pills seem to help (Tums/Rennies - nothing fancy). Seems to be when I'm tired & my stomach's not quite right - that happens often in races. Occasionally I've lose vision entirely for the left or right side, which is a bit scary, but this hasn't happened in a race yet. It only happens every year or two though.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    I've had the same a couple of times when running on long off-road races. I suspect it was digestion-related. I get these at other times too, & indigestion pills seem to help (Tums/Rennies - nothing fancy). Seems to be when I'm tired & my stomach's not quite right - that happens often in races. Occasionally I've lose vision entirely for the left or right side, which is a bit scary, but this hasn't happened in a race yet. It only happens every year or two though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    Oh, I am glad someone started this thread. I sometimes get jagged lights (like migraine aura) when fell running but not when I am doing road running. I do suffer from migraines but they don't normally have flashing lights beforehand and often I can just get the lights/tunnel vision after or (worryingly) during a fell race but it doesn't lead to a headache. I was wondering if it is the jarring from fast rocky descents? Could explain your blurry vision too. It is disconcerting and doesn't help when trying to find paths through tough terrain. A friend reckoned it was dehydration related. Any thoughts?
    I would recommend getting your eyes checked at the hospital or opticians’.

My mum took part in a 5K fun run (her first and only fun run), part way round the course she started seeing bright lights in her eye which she described as a thin line of twinkling lights around the edge of her eye, she could see these lights when her eye was open or closed

A few hours after the run these “lights” faded and she thought no more about it until she went for another run a few days later, the “lights” came back, she also had what she described as black spots in her vision obviously concerned about this she went to the hospital where she was told the retina had torn – possibly caused by the increased blood pressure from exerting herself during the run.

Thankfully they were able to zap her eye with a laser and she has been ok since but she was warned that if she had carried on regardless the tear could have got bigger or the retina could have detached leading to a loss of sight in the effected eye
    I've learnt so much from my mistakes, I'm actually thinking about making a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by Datt View Post
    I would recommend getting your eyes checked at the hospital or opticians’.
    In my case it's nothing to do with my eyes, as when it occurs my vision is affected identically in both eyes. It's classic migraine symptoms, i.e. a brain issue rather than an eye issue.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Thanks for your post Dat. If I didn't already get migraines and see an optician regularly, that would make me consider seeing a doctor but I also think that if it was anything serious like that, it wouldn't have been temporary and I'd have been suffering with it since. I think with me, it is possibly neck related and the jarring is causing some kind of blood flow restriction or maybe it is nutrition/dehydration related. Either way, it is annoying and I'm glad it happens rarely.

All,
    I dont know if mine is cold related, it seems that I am unable to focus, and I then cringe and slow down but when I slow-up everything returns to normal?

The only time I see stars is when I am sitting in the smallest room after too many bananas

Tomsdad
    Someone has to bring up the rear

Blurred vision and streaming eyes when running down hill- yep that rings a bell!!

Downhill mountain biking is even worse for me.

Think it's quite common.

Look on the bright side. If you can't see properly then you might as well just take off the brakes and go for it!!!