Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
Running back home, off the fell this afternoon, I had to pass through the upper allotment. It's quite a few hundred acres in size and more recently my only concern has been avoiding the cows and their calfs that appeared there last week. Today, I had the added thrill of running amidst a lighning storm. Ahh... the life affirming frisson of multiple jeopardies! Got me thinking, whether I should countinue the line I was on, which involved running for a mile or so parralell to the wire sheep fence, with its barbed wired top line, or run further out in the allotment, away from the fence, and stand out like... There were no other practical options (the herd had penned themselves in the far, lower corner, so were in the know).

I chose a compromise, and ran some 12 feet way from the fence, based on absolutely no logic whatsoever, but which quite evidnetly proved to be the correct decision (today!)
Mmmh. I cycled home through a lightning/thunderstorm this evening from Blubberhouses Fell (ie high) pondering similar thoughts on roads somewhat empty of high sided metal vehicles.

I started counting the delay between the flash and the thunder and then concluded that actually wasn't a very reassuring calculation.