Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Lightning

  1. #11

    Re: Lightning

    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    best ways of avoiding it? when running
    Stay in!

  2. #12
    Master mr brightside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Loving it in the Pilates Studio
    Posts
    7,917

    Re: Lightning

    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    How would I do this? Creep up behind them and tell them they've left the gas on?
    Don't understand, i thought worry beads were for shuffling about when you're worried, something to do with Hare Krishna's
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

  3. #13
    Senior Member tinyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kirkby Lonsdale
    Posts
    344

    Re: Lightning

    One of the scariest stories about lightning I ever heard came from Stuart (of Stuart Sports in Bowness) The way I remember it he was on Bowfell / Crinkles in a storm and getting increasingly concerned about the amount of electricity in the air.
    Before he could get off the tops his route was cut off by Ball Lightning. The way he described this was 'red, watermelon-sized balls, floating a few feet above the rocks and following the line of the ridge' It seems like there was no way of avoiding these beasts and eventually one hit Stuart and others struck two walkers. These were full-on lightning strikes and all three victims ended up having to be evacuated and hospitalised.

    The really scary thing according to Stuart was that the lightning balls seemed to be attracted to people and follow them when they tried to get out of the way, "like they knew we were there".

  4. #14
    Member Quosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Riding
    Posts
    94

    Re: Lightning

    .....

  5. #15
    Moderator noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Western Peak District
    Posts
    6,247

    Re: Lightning

    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Worry Beads
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    How would I do this? Creep up behind them and tell them they've left the gas on?
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Don't understand, i thought worry beads were for shuffling about when you're worried, something to do with Hare Krishna's
    I was trying to be funny. You're right - they are. I was deliberately misinterpreting your original post to mean that you should worry beads. It doesn't work so well when explained.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Trog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire Coast
    Posts
    773

    Re: Lightning

    As it comes towards you…

    At the last millisecond, casually step to the side

    Well it works in the cartoons
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

  7. #17
    Grandmaster IanDarkpeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    near the dark stuff
    Posts
    13,057

    Re: Lightning

    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    at 6'2' i am gonna struggle..
    I was going to answer this earlier but last night daughter spilt orange juice in to key board.!!!!Only just got the spare out now.

    1)Run with Tall Paul
    2)Assume the position!! Kneel down put your hands on your knees put your head as low as possible..... and kiss you ass good bye.

    Actually this will help as any strike will now travel the line of least resistance so will travel from your rear down your legs and away from vital organs. I wouldn't advise trying it though.

  8. #18
    Master nikalas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chinley
    Posts
    1,743

    Re: Lightning

    Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I was going to answer this earlier but last night daughter spilt orange juice in to key board.!!!!Only just got the spare out now.

    1)Run with Tall Paul
    2)Assume the position!! Kneel down put your hands on your knees put your head as low as possible..... and kiss you ass good bye.

    Actually this will help as any strike will now travel the line of least resistance so will travel from your rear down your legs and away from vital organs. I wouldn't advise trying it though.
    Surely that means it'll go right past the MOST VITAL ORGAN!

  9. #19

    Re: Lightning

    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    best ways of avoiding it? when running
    run like grease lightening

  10. #20
    Master Stolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Settle
    Posts
    6,580

    Re: Lightning

    Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    As it comes towards you…

    At the last millisecond, casually step to the side
    Brilliant!

    I'd also suggest not running with an umbrella.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •