View Poll Results: Should we carry mandatory kit

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

133 100.00%
Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory Kit

Mandatory Kit

I'm sure this tread will have been in here before but after 10 pages I got bored of searching (only a further 32 to go).

I raced at Dunnerdale today in light drizzle on and off for the hour or so it took me, the ground conditions where poor and very slippery in places and in my opinion the organisers had specified as mandatory kit, full waterproof cover, map, compass and whistle. I passed a female Ambleside runner 155 who was carrying no kit at all. I challenged her and she muttered something like I’ve not got any. She came in a few places behind me and I mentioned it to the time keepers and the organiser and no one seemed interested.

In my opinion if kit is mandatory then those without should be certainly disqualified from racing and possibly even serve a ban.

I believe this is particularly true at a race such as Dunnerdale which has a large number of young runners taking part for the first time and club runners should be setting an example not getting away with it as the weather is OK.

My opinion I know but carrying the correct kit when in the hills can and does save lives!

Dave
    Just get out there and keep Going!

Re: Mandatory Kit

Quote Originally Posted by davet-helm View Post
    I'm sure this tread will have been in here before but after 10 pages I got bored of searching (only a further 32 to go).

I raced at Dunnerdale today in light drizzle on and off for the hour or so it took me, the ground conditions where poor and very slippery in places and in my opinion the organisers had specified as mandatory kit, full waterproof cover, map, compass and whistle. I passed a female Ambleside runner 155 who was carrying no kit at all. I challenged her and she muttered something like I’ve not got any. She came in a few places behind me and I mentioned it to the time keepers and the organiser and no one seemed interested.

In my opinion if kit is mandatory then those without should be certainly disqualified from racing and possibly even serve a ban.

I believe this is particularly true at a race such as Dunnerdale which has a large number of young runners taking part for the first time and club runners should be setting an example not getting away with it as the weather is OK.

My opinion I know but carrying the correct kit when in the hills can and does save lives!

Dave
    Dave ,

If you feel free to, in effect, name a runner whom you believe transgressed you ought to have the courage to spell out your own name in full.

Happy to Dave Till 186
    Just get out there and keep Going!

Master

whats the point in carrying full kit in bloody good weather. I can see why a map and compass obviously cos you can still get lost. But a cag and trousers whats the use of them other than extra weight and a slower time

if the weather is bad though then yeah but i wouldnt carry kit on a short like Dunnerdale
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

I didn't take any kit with me on a short race and broke my ankle on the top. I limped off and it took me ages to get to the finish and then the car. I was freezing. I'm never without full body cover now, even for short training runs. A lesson hard learned.

Also, if the RO says carry it, you should carry it. That's it. They're at more risk than anyone and are providing something for us all to enjoy. Least we can do is carry a bit of pertex or paclite or whatever.

ST

Quote Originally Posted by davet-helm View Post
    Happy to Dave Till 186
    Hi Dave, i was there too and noticed the same but i don't believe it is anyones right to self appoint as a guardian of the fells. Don't take that the wrong way it's not a criticism of you, you were right she was wrong, i just think in fell running people take their own risks as in all extreme events. I turn up to every race with full kit regardless, mainly because i get thirsty and need my bumbag to carry my grog, but if i have my nav gear and all my body cover they can never refuse entry on that basis. I may also be of assistance to an injured runner if i have my whistle, i think we all have a duty of care to one another.

This is a thorny issue and i think i've said enough as a relative novice, please don't feel offended by my opinion.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

This has been discussed before but in my opinion if the RO stipulates it or the FRA regulations demand it then you don't have a choice. Perhaps to avoid all doubt it should be made explicitly clear to all runners when they register.

I am also a relative novice on the fells but I think that if the race asks for full kit, it is our duty to take it. Due to my inexperience, I gladly take it in case I get lost and cold or injured. I think it is my responsibility to look after myself as best as I can. Also, exactly how much does the weight of a bumbag with waterproofs, map, compass and an energy bar actually really affect your performance? And if everyone actually took their kit...we'd all be affected the same way anyway.

If you want to run in the hills on a non-organised basis, with friends, on your own or whatever, then you do as you see fit - your safety is your responsibility.

You want to run in an organised event (ie a fell race) - you abide by the rules.

Simple.

fb
    The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...

Tony Vardy

YOu've missed a question.

Should the kit be carried as specified by the race organiser?

That's the key - and then those race organisers have to stick to those rules.