133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

133 100.00%
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory Kit

Banned

Re: Mandatory Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bloke View Post
    If you want to run in the hills on a non-organised basis, with friends, on your own or whatever, then you do as you see fit - your safety is your responsibility.

You want to run in an organised event (ie a fell race) - you abide by the rules.

Simple.

fb
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    Also, if the RO says carry it, you should carry it. That's it. They're at more risk than anyone and are providing something for us all to enjoy. Least we can do is carry a bit of pertex or paclite or whatever.

ST
    Training, carry what you want, racing, do what ST says and be respectful to the RO's, without them we'd all just be training
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by davet-helm View Post
    ....and in my opinion the organisers had specified as mandatory kit, full waterproof cover, map, compass and whistle. ...
    and the key Dave is "in my opinion" but what was the organisers opinion?

The FRA Rules state it is mandatory in AM / AL but this was AS.

Are there any organisers on here? If so would you care to advise if you did ask for kit as Dave advises and why then you did not DQ people who clearly didn't have it?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    and the key Dave is "in my opinion" but what was the organisers opinion?

The FRA Rules state it is mandatory in AM / AL but this was AS.

Are there any organisers on here? If so would you care to advise if you did ask for kit as Dave advises and why then you did not DQ people who clearly didn't have it?
    I got injured in an AS event.
    Waterproof top,
    Bottoms,
    Hat,
    Gloves,
    Were my saviour
    1.5 mile 15minutes out
    almost 2 hours back in sleet and rain
    BUT ONLY AN AS,
    You decide, but I know my view.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    whats the point in carrying full kit in bloody good weather. I can see why a map and compass obviously cos you can still get lost. But a cag and trousers whats the use of them other than extra weight and a slower time

if the weather is bad though then yeah but i wouldnt carry kit on a short like Dunnerdale
    A significant number of fell runners wouldn't know how to use a map and compass. They'd probably know how to use a cag and trousers.

Abide by the rules or expect to get dq'd if you're kit checked. But the RO's should state at registration explicitly what the rules are if it's not mandated by the governing bodies rules. Not sure if SHR, NIMRA, WFRA have equivilent rules to FRA?

I agree Stagger - I have a VET 60 club member, Stuart Furness, who will probably be at the David Staff (BS) with is bumbag containing full body cover.

I was in that race in 2005 when I went over on my ankle at the far end of the course on the top.
    The weather was nippy but cold when we set off - by the time we were at the top it was blizzarding.

I thought, make my way back down or Mountain Rescue - and clearly a wait, in just my Harriers vest, for them.

I carried on, and ran to the finish (only the extreme cold allowed me to do that as my leg was numb!), as to walk would have left me freezing. I was lucky, but missed weeks with my ankle which was up like a football.

I would always take kit with me know just in case and sometimes go beyond what the race organiser stipulates.

But the rules on the day should be upheld!

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post

I got injured in an AS event.
    Waterproof top,
    Bottoms,
    Hat,
    Gloves,
    Were my saviour
    1.5 mile 15minutes out
    almost 2 hours back in sleet and rain
    BUT ONLY AN AS,
    You decide, but I know my view.
    Stagger,

Yes, and when you're waiting for a mate and 2hrs later they're still not back it's good to know they were carrying full kit!

G.

To all RO's....Just have full kit checks before the start. There was one at Skiddaw. Only took 10 mins to filter people into the start via a kit check. If someone hasn't got kit then don't let them in. Simple.

If people don't want to carry kit then go and run a road race!
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

whats the point in carrying full kit in bloody good weather. I can see why a map and compass obviously cos you can still get lost. But a cag and trousers whats the use of them other than extra weight and a slower time

if the weather is bad though then yeah but i wouldnt carry kit on a short like Dunnerdale
    As part of your education TT ; because if you stop, even on a summer's day, you have about 10 minutes before hypothermia can set in. This is caused by the 'fridge effect of sweat evaporating, i.e. your body temperature starts to drop. So you need to carry something (not necessarily full waterproof kit) to prevent this situation starting. As others have stated, don't take the risk. You never know what might happen.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Master

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    As part of your education TT ; because if you stop, even on a summer's day, you have about 10 minutes before hypothermia can set in. This is caused by the 'fridge effect of sweat evaporating, i.e. your body temperature starts to drop. So you need to carry something (not necessarily full waterproof kit) to prevent this situation starting. As others have stated, don't take the risk. You never know what might happen.
    i voted on the poll if theres bad weather.....however i have to say if i going more than a mile from anywhere public i generally wear 2 layers and carry a cag. but i dont see the point in short races...im generally in the middle or sometimes in the top third so its not like no one sees me on the way round
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

i voted on the poll if theres bad weather.....however i have to say if i going more than a mile from anywhere public i generally wear 2 layers and carry a cag. but i dont see the point in short races...im generally in the middle or sometimes in the top third so its not like no one sees me on the way round
    ...but what happens if the weather changes for the worse after a fair weather start and/or you go slightly off-route or those that may be behind you also have no spare kit to help you if you are in difficulties?

I'm with Stagger, ST and others on this one and am another who will often have full kit with me when very few others do (it certainly came in handy when I fell at Withens Skyline last year)