133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

133 100.00%
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory Kit

Master

Re: Mandatory Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    ...but what happens if the weather changes for the worse after a fair weather start and/or you go slightly off-route or those that may be behind you also have no spare kit to help you if you are in difficulties?

I'm with Stagger, ST and others on this one and am another who will often have full kit with me when very few others do (it certainly came in handy when I fell at Withens Skyline last year)
    The thing is that i carry whatever kit the ro asks me to
    however as you can tell from my training most of it is either on the road (no need) or on very local hills that i know like the back of my hand and anything more than 6 miles i take a cag on however if im in a race i try and carry as little as possible
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    whats the point in carrying full kit in bloody good weather. I can see why a map and compass obviously cos you can still get lost. But a cag and trousers whats the use of them other than extra weight and a slower time

if the weather is bad though then yeah but i wouldnt carry kit on a short like Dunnerdale
    this is possibly one of the worst posts I have seen on this forum

also ask Pete Bland what he thinks about people on the fells without adequate clothing!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    also ask Pete Bland what he thinks about people on the fells without adequate clothing!!
    I take what clothing is adequate for the conditions

Having to take my foil blanket out recently to help an under prepared runner on the hills I'll never again feel silly for being overly cautious. I've had to help out fellow runners on the hill numerous times. You only learn how important it is to take the right kit with you once you've been scared by the elements (and it only takes the one time).

Competitors who do not take the correct kit should be disqualified as they endanger themselves and the others who inevitably stop to help when things go badly.
    Last edited by AndyG; 15-11-2009 at 12:40 AM.

It should be a rule on this Forum that people should not be allowed to pontificate about kit unless:

i) they are a RO who organises serious fell races (not twice round the gala field)

and

ii) they have discussed kit with Jon Broxap or Pete Bland who have both attended a Coroners's Court after the death of a runner in their race.

This rule need not apply to selfish idiots.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by alphandomega View Post
    It should be a rule on this Forum that people should not be allowed to pontificate about kit unless:

i) they are a RO who organises serious fell races (not twice round the gala field)

and

ii) they have discussed kit with Jon Broxap or Pete Bland who have both attended a Coroners's Court after the death of a runner in their race.

This rule need not apply to selfish idiots.
    hahaha...just No.
    Whats the point in that answer. it adds nothing of use to the thread just a narrow minded opinion

Quote Originally Posted by davet-helm View Post
    I'm sure this tread will have been in here before but after 10 pages I got bored of searching (only a further 32 to go).

I raced at Dunnerdale today in light drizzle on and off for the hour or so it took me, the ground conditions where poor and very slippery in places and in my opinion the organisers had specified as mandatory kit, full waterproof cover, map, compass and whistle. I passed a female Ambleside runner 155 who was carrying no kit at all. I challenged her and she muttered something like I’ve not got any. She came in a few places behind me and I mentioned it to the time keepers and the organiser and no one seemed interested.

In my opinion if kit is mandatory then those without should be certainly disqualified from racing and possibly even serve a ban.

I believe this is particularly true at a race such as Dunnerdale which has a large number of young runners taking part for the first time and club runners should be setting an example not getting away with it as the weather is OK.

My opinion I know but carrying the correct kit when in the hills can and does save lives!

Dave
    I've only read the first page so far so this may appear later but there was a thread started by me entitled Cheats because thats what they are.

Ian Winterburn (My full name)

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    whats the point in carrying full kit in bloody good weather. I can see why a map and compass obviously cos you can still get lost. But a cag and trousers whats the use of them other than extra weight and a slower time

if the weather is bad though then yeah but i wouldnt carry kit on a short like Dunnerdale
    It doesn't matter Tom, the weather in Britain changes quick also if the RO ask for that kit to be carried you must, if he can be bothered to organise it you should honour his wishes and every one else who carries that kit.

I'd be happy for a name and shame thread, but until RO start disq races who delibrately cheat it will continue.

I'm going to read the reat now.....

and what is most (least) amusing about this is that these amazing fellrunners think that shedding a couple of grammes here and there of kit will make them suddenly great runners

don't worry kiddos, simon booth and rob jebb et al aren't quick cos they left their cag in the car

Carry the kit and shut up.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 15-11-2009 at 10:04 AM.

however if im in a race i try and carry as little as possible

Thats exactly why the race organisers have rules so that runners are forced to look after themselves and also not try and gain an advantage by cheating. I like the idea of a random check at the startline. Shout out three numbers who have to publicly go to the front to show their kit. Good fun if they fail. It was done at dunnerdale about six years ago. One of the faster runners was called out. He hadn't got a cag. A kind marshall gave him hers.......a heavy weight regatta type coat which he couldn't refuse and worked as a sort of handicap. I think it was an Ambleside runner.