Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

133 100.00%
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Mandatory Kit

Re: Mandatory Kit

Quote Originally Posted by nearlyhopeless View Post
    The following is perhaps a reminder of why having a rule on compulsory kit is a good idea rather than leaving it to the individual to decide...

A trial began this week involving the organiser of the 2008 Zugspitzelauf, a mountain race up Germany's highest mountain. The organiser is facing charges relating to two deaths which occured as a result of a blizzard which hit the race (it was run in July). The court case is headline news in Germany.

There were no rules relating to compulsory kit at the race so it was down to the competitors to make their own judgement on what kit to wear/carry. The organiser warned of a bad weather forecast and advised competitors to carry/wear suitable kit. Looking at the photos of the race, many chose to run in just t-shirt & shorts and carried no extra kit. Perhaps the temperature on the startline (16C) and the feeling of being part of a big race enduced a false sense of safety. A blizzard (more severe than predicted) hit the race higher up the mountain with tragic consequences.

Had the competitors been forced to carry kit as per FRA rules then perhaps the tragedy would have been avoided. At the very least the risk of hypothermia/death would've been reduced.
    there was a thread on this at the time.

IMO, if you don't carry kit beware. Back to the many times referenced 'Rule 9'

"organisers must ensure that whatever requirements they specify on the day are met by holding comlete or random checks before and after the start of the race"

Therefore, to my mind, an onus of responsibility has been placed on the RO to carry out kit checks - expect it and expect the possibility of complete ones. I'd guess no RO wants to be held up as an example of bad practice, after an 'incident'?

End of the day, how difficult is it to remember and run with Kit? Compare that with the time and effort thats been expended to actually organise the race.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    Is there an argument to include the kit requirement in the calendar alongside ER/LK/NS/PM(/KIT) rather than tying it somewhat arbitrarily to the race statistics. (I know this won't be popular the calendar team)
    Nope.

Rule 9 kit may not be "mandatory" for longs, Bs and Cs ... but, as Rule 9 says, it is seen by the FRA as "best practice".

You'd very rarely need to carry kit on my race ... but you just might under some weather conditions, so it would be very unwise of us to start using a no-kit category, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    so it would be very unwise of us to start using a no-kit category, wouldn't it?
    But we already have a no kit category. My thinking was to align the mandatory kit requirement more closely to those races that need it and make it explicit in the race descriptions so there can be no excuse for not knowing. Of course you should always be prepared to cary full kit if the RO deems it necessary on the day. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    But we already have a no kit category.
    No we don't.

What we have are:-

a) Races where kit will always be required (AM, AL);

b) Races where, "in the event of settled weather, confirmed by a local weather report" the RO might (if he wishes) decide to waive some of the rle 9 kit requirements.

There aren't any no kit categories.

Ok, I see your point, I just think the mandatory kit for AL/AM races doesn't discriminate as well as it might and that specifying certain races as always requiring kit could be an alternative approach. To the best of my knowledge I comply with the rules and the ROs instructions and would always encourage others to do likewise

Ever got your name under every single last post in a given moment. This is my momentary monopoly
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    Ever got your name under every single last post in a given moment?
    Good luck with that.

oops

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    Ever got your name under every single last post in a given moment. This is my momentary monopoly
    I've now seen two threads where you have said just this. I'm curious to know at what point, after posting legitimate posts did you think "aha, I could get them all". Or did you just spam every thread?

Anyway, nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I've now seen two threads where you have said just this. I'm curious to know at what point, after posting legitimate posts did you think "aha, I could get them all". Or did you just spam every thread?

Anyway, nice one.
    A variation of the Brightside theme ?