Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wainwright Lakeland Guides.

Wainwright Lakeland Guides.

Hello all. A question for you. Are the wainwright lakeland guides better than having a map of the lakes if you are planning on going there in the future ?.
    Would you recognise everything a lot easier with the guides ?. Are things more recognisable because of them rather than just having the map alone. Or would you stick with the map alone pre visit to lakes ?. I obviously am always going to buy a map as this is what i would use training and race but would the guides help ?. I know i have asked the same question about 4 times it's getting late sorry.

Re: Wainwright Lakeland Guides

Personally i like to have a quick look at both the night before, with the route plotted on the map and then find the relivant route up/down the particular fell etc.
    Then just take the map come the run and leave the books at home where they can stay clean and dry.

Having the two helps me to get a picture of what the fell/trod/neighbouring fells/escape route look like.
    I also like to use stridingedge.co.uk (or maybe.com) because the guy has lots of pictures that help piece everything together.
    Im a visual learner
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 17-11-2009 at 12:40 AM.

Yes from what i have been told about the books they would seem to help someone who has not gone to the lakes or a part of the lakes with the best route on and off the summits. That is something which is trickier with map alone.

pretty much as al says: wainwrights can be v useful for planning, as you get a better idea of the degree of difficulty and / or interest in a route, and of what it might look like.

As the books are organised around summits, they're obviously best for planning ascents and descents - but there is ridge route info too.

I never actually take them into the hills though.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 17-11-2009 at 08:32 AM.

Super Moderator

Agree with Al and Z. They're nice to have and look at but I wouldn't take one out on the hill. I bought mine one at a time from various bookshops in the Lakes over a few trips and slipped the reciepts into the books so when I open them I remember when I got them. Some have cuttings from the Guardian Country Diary in them too. Perhaps I need to get out more......
    Poacher turned game-keeper

It's always interesting to get a bit more background and variation when running in the Lakes. Wainwright's books are a great source - maybe not as a guide, but as a good read before or after a long run on the fells.

If you can get hold of a copy, F&RCC produced a good guide to the Lakes fells (edited by June Parker & Tim Pickles) in 1996 which also gave some off-beat approaches and interesting background information. Well worth a browse if you come across it.

RH has a good point on getting a bit of variety into running in the Lakes. Wainwright is a great way of finding out about alternatives to the tourist highways on Lakeland fells. Doing a bit of research before a day out can offer a 'wilderness experience' (if that's what you want) on even the most popular fells.
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar

Rudolph mentioned The Lakeland Fells. If anyone's interested it's described at http://www.frcc.co.uk/publications.asp and can be ordered from Cordee here http://www.cordee.co.uk/CWP391.php

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    ...I also like to use stridingedge.co.uk (or maybe.com)...
    www.stridingedge.net

checkowt this set of pics around the Little Langdale area...

http://www.stridingedge.net/Walks/20...r/02.11.09.htm
    Last edited by wharfeego; 19-11-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    pretty much as al says: wainwrights can be v useful for planning, as you get a better idea of the degree of difficulty and / or interest in a route, and of what it might look like.

As the books are organised around summits, they're obviously best for planning ascents and descents - but there is ridge route info too.

I never actually take them into the hills though.
    I was banned from taking my trainers on holiday to France this summer so I took The Wainwright Southern Fells book with me to read. The homework came in very handy when running the Three Shires the next month - especially at Swirl How in the mist.

Have asked for The Western Fells for Christmas so I can recce Ennerdale in my head....
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.