Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peak District Round

Re: Peak District Round

Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
    Cheers - I was looking at the map, and most of the route looks relatively obvious, just trying to pick a way between the Roaches trigpoint and the one on Axe Edge with as little tarmac as possible... Half tempted to give this a go in the near future, weather depending.
    Hi Paul.
    The Dane Valley Way will take you most of the way. Its not open hills but its much better than the local roads.
    Think I'll have a look at some of this on the weekend of the Nov 28th.
    I know the Shining Tor - Roaches section very well. Need to recce the other half.

No offence taken Zoothornrollo. When i come up with an idea i am offering that idea to everyone and i agree i wouldn't feel comfortable doing a Peak District Round without company if i devised one. As i say if i did devise one the last person i am thinking of really is me. I just want to come up with something different for you guys that might be fun. As i say when you look at the map of the entire Peak District it is a very large area and i feel there is an oppurtunity for something like this. Don't get me wrong i am not suggesting i am the best to devise this either but a good way to celebrate 60 years of the Peak District Park.

Tim,
    Just been having a look around about that challenge, and the record's dropped a tad from when the info was posted.... currently stands at 3hs20min (unless anyone knows better) according to the staffs moorland ac forum.

3 Hours 20 is very impressive. We were much slower than that when we did it as a result of bad route selection for one, and didn't even bother registering our time. Forgot on that thread there is a lot of discussion about the roaches to axe edge section.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
    Tim,
    Just been having a look around about that challenge, and the record's dropped a tad from when the info was posted.... currently stands at 3hs20min (unless anyone knows better) according to the staffs moorland ac forum.
    That is fast!!
    Well out of my scope.
    If anyone wants to have a recce (nothing too fast) in the near future with a mind to try it for real later please drop me a line.

Tim

I was thinking of a way of extending the 15 trigs. How about adding in the DP 4 county tops. Adding in the trip over Blackhill would put atleast ten limes on the route and a god 2000ft

hmmm... that Gritstone Tryal Anytime Challenge looks tempting...

Shining Tor, Shutlingsloe, The Roaches and Axe Edge form a rather splendid Diamond Of Deweys

can't believe I've not thought of this myself

[starts planning recces...]
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Just a bit more information on the Gritstone Challenge, for those who might like a slightly shorter round in the south Peaks. Read on

Posted a steady time today anticlockwise. Did not recce any of the route but some of it around Goyt is relatively familiar. Easy route to Shutlingsloe using the Cumberland Brook path (35 mins). Off Shutlingsloe, arriving at the road, crossed the bridge and didn't completely figure out the first bit but then made a bigger gaff missing the walled track after turning right just below Firs Farm and wasted probably 5 minutes before spotting the gap between the woodland areas on my map - had scanned the OS map and this section was right at the change from map 1 to map 2 Straightforwards then until Goosetree where the map shows the path/track round the buildings but on the ground the path goes straight down the boulder strewn field to the footbridge. Picked up the section through Gradbach Wood to Roach End easily and on up to the Trig (1:34). Returned the way I came up as I didn't fancy the descent (East North East) straight down to Black Brook, and found the route finding then the roads easy to Flash. Here suffering from dehydration I popped into the Churchyard and found a tap near the side door. Bezzled as much as i could fit in and off again. Thought i'd try the path through Old Sams Farm but the water must have gone to my head and I lost my way a little dropping back to the main road and then turned left and right to Hilltop losing probably another 2-3 minutes. Then I tried the paths and tracks across aiming off to the west of Axe Edge and found it hard going up to the Trig (2:52) - can't help thinking there is a more effective route from the Roaches to Axe Edge Trig. Took the more or less direct route to pick up the path to the track above Derbyshire Bridge and then attempted the direct route to Burbage Trig not realising there is an unmarked path on the right running almost due north to the Trig (3:16). Followed the path on the way back and dropped down the Goyt's Moss path to the bottom - had to drink from the steam here as I was really desperate for water. Then up the path to the top of Stake Side - by now the dehydration and lack of food was reducing me to a slow walk. At the top a right then left up to the Trig (4:02) trying to run where I could - why did they put it the wrong side of the wall? Then retraced my steps and along the firm track back to the Cat and Fiddle (4:13). I figure this is not a bad time for a V50. I'll return soon for another circuit confident I can take 10-15 minutes out of this time.

Intrest in the Five Trigs Gritstone Anytime Challenge has wained a little, but im happy to report a new record for the round that will hopefully highlight the round and get a few more runners interested.

2 weeks back the record was smashed by Spyke in the incredible time of 3hours 20mins.

Who up for a go???

ps Steve used the Chalenge as part of his training for this weekends High peak marathon. His team won in 8hours 40 mins

Probably too late with this, but did anyone suggest the excellent http://www.gofar.org.uk/ website in this thread?
    It’s at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys

Quote Originally Posted by Smut View Post
    Probably too late with this, but did anyone suggest the excellent http://www.gofar.org.uk/ website in this thread?
    Yes Tony (MountainMan) who runs gofar is a regular poster on the Forum and a few forumites have passed on info for Tony to put on his site.