Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Peak District Round

Re: Peak District Round

I am flattered that the account of my first run round the Gritstone Challenge has been posted here. I did indeed return a few weeks after and posted a time of 3:51 just 2 minutes quicker than Spyke's previous best. I suffered a long term injury a couple of months later so have not been back for another round but had in mind to take the direct route off the Roaches to take a further 10 minutes off and to attempt it in cooler conditions so I didn't have to carry my Camelbak to further reduce the time taken - congratulations to Spyke on his 3:20 it is a very good time indeed.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    tri-mind, there are several shorter Peakland rounds too, that would be suitable for training runs. I've got the Bogtrotters Guide book at home which, along with lots of background info on the battle for access to the moors and waking routes, also has a list of Peak distance challenges. I remember walking the (20ml iirc) Bleaklow Round years ago on a glorious summers day. When I get home I'll have a look through it and perhaps post some details of one or two here
    BLEAKLOW ROUND

Snake Inn, Birchin Clough Br, Birchin Clough, Over Wood Moss, Hern Clough, Wain Stones, Bleakow Head, Bleaklow Hill, Bleaklow Stones, Grinah Stones, Barrow Stones, R Derwent, Slippery Stones, West side of Howden Res, West End, Alport Castles, Alport Castles Fm, Hayridge Fm, Doctor's Gate, A57, Snake Inn. Circa 20mls
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    BLEAKLOW ROUND

Snake Inn, Birchin Clough Br, Birchin Clough, Over Wood Moss, Hern Clough, Wain Stones, Bleakow Head, Bleaklow Hill, Bleaklow Stones, Grinah Stones, Barrow Stones, R Derwent, Slippery Stones, West side of Howden Res, West End, Alport Castles, Alport Castles Fm, Hayridge Fm, Doctor's Gate, A57, Snake Inn. Circa 20mls
    Ken Jones (he of the KK and the Dozen fame) has a similar route

From Snake summit it visits all the stones from upperand lower Shelfmoor all the way round the watershed to Hurkling stones.

I've been waiting for a nice day.

Super Moderator

That sounds interesting Ian. Hoping to have a few long Peakland days early 2010 prior to proper BG training
    Poacher turned game-keeper

novice

Quote Originally Posted by safety pin View Post
    Much of (and more) of your route Tim is covered by the Gritstone Tryal Anytime Challenge from the staffs Moorlands forum.

Start Cat & Fiddle SK001719
    Trig 1 Shutlingsloe 976696
    Trig 2 Roaches 001639
    Trig 3 Axe Edge 035706
    Trig 4 Burbage Edge 029732
    Trig 5 Shining Tor 994738
    Finish Cat & Fiddle 001 719

The route is aprox. 22 miles with 3500' ascent and its a great round. Combining this with your additional hills, Bosley Cloud, Croker Hill and its bumping up the mileage.
    Planning on giving this a go in a couple of weeks time - just can't make my mind up on the best option between Roaches and Axe Edge. Either back to the river and upto three shires head or go direct via a mishmash of lanes and footpaths?

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Planning on giving this a go in a couple of weeks time - just can't make my mind up on the best option between Roaches and Axe Edge. Either back to the river and upto three shires head or go direct via a mishmash of lanes and footpaths?
    spooky - I was thinking about the exact same thing the other day
    I'm probably going to go with the "mishmash" option - mainly in the hope that the pub in Flash will be open
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Could anybody send me a link or something with the exact route of the 4 county tops Dark peak please and also the Gritstone Trail or Way whichever is the correct name. The reason I dont just want the points is that i want to see exactly where both of these runs go. I would be very grateful for this information. You can PM me if you have this info and you need to e mail it. Thank you.
    They called me mad and i called them mad and damn them they outvoted me !!!.

novice

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    spooky - I was thinking about the exact same thing the other day
    I'm probably going to go with the "mishmash" option - mainly in the hope that the pub in Flash will be open
    Looking at the map again last night I think I'm also going to "mishmash"

novice

Quote Originally Posted by Herakles View Post
    Could anybody send me a link or something with the exact route of the 4 county tops Dark peak please and also the Gritstone Trail or Way whichever is the correct name. The reason I dont just want the points is that i want to see exactly where both of these runs go. I would be very grateful for this information. You can PM me if you have this info and you need to e mail it. Thank you.
    On the Gritstone one there isn't a set route but looking at the map there is a v obvious route from start to shutlingsloe to Roaches. From roaches to burbage edge via axe edge there is no clear obvious route to take and a variety of different paths/lanes that could be used. From Burbage to Shining Tor and back to start is again very obvious.

Its a beautiful area and doing any of the route would be worthwhile

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    I will be adding some info to the gofar site on the white peak trigs - I had wanted to include it in the Autumn update but have been bogged down with some computer problems. I will post on here when it is available. In the meantime Rob Woodall compiled some details so may see this and respond.
    He's been asleep but here's the Dark+White Peak 26ish trigs:
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showp...4&postcount=30

And by now there's lots of info on http://gofar.org.uk/ linked from the Dark Peak 15 Trigs page
    Last edited by RobW; 05-03-2010 at 12:21 AM.
    Gone peakbagging