Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marathon Pace????

Marathon Pace????

Right then people for all you hill runners out there its the London marathon this sunday and I'm having a go!

What I'm hoping for is some advice as to what pace I should be running!

When I entered at the middle of Jan (club place) I'd set myself the target of getting under 3:15.
    However recent half mara and 10 k times. 1:23.57 and 37:23 respectively indicate that I 'could' be looking at sub 3.
    Now here's the but!

But due to niggling shin pain I haven't done much road training at all. In fact bar last week I can't remember the last time I ran on the road other than races so I'm lacking 18+ mile training runs I should have got in!

So do I head out at sub 7 min miles and try to hang on but risk a wall hitting hour for the last 10k?
    Or got out at 7:20 ish and see if I can pick the pace (its a long way) toward the end assuming I'm feeling ok????

undercover moderator

Re: Marathon Pace????

Have you done any 3-hour runs off-road....?

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Have you done any 3-hour runs off-road....?

Did a 2:45 run from bolton up to darwin tower and back which was about 16 miles I think.

I've done one 16 on the road.
    Plus about 2 or 3 hour to hour 30 off road runs a week!

I'll be there too on Sunday.

With those 10K and half times, a sub 3hr could well be on the cards.

I'm guessing that you haven't run London before. I've only ever run from blue start, and it can get very congested at the start until the first mile, even for the sub 3 non 'AAA' runners. So you may be starting off about 7:20-7:15 pace anyway until 2 miles. Some of the roads until 3 miles are quite narrow and create crowding at times.

Hope your shin doesn't cause too much anguish.

Quote Originally Posted by Calf View Post
    Right then people for all you hill runners out there its the London marathon this sunday and I'm having a go!

When I entered at the middle of Jan (club place) I'd set myself the target of getting under 3:15.
    However recent half mara and 10 k times. 1:23.57 and 37:23 respectively indicate that I 'could' be looking at sub 3.
    Now here's the but!

But due to niggling shin pain I haven't done much road training at all. In fact bar last week I can't remember the last time I ran on the road other than races so I'm lacking 18+ mile training runs I should have got in!

So do I head out at sub 7 min miles and try to hang on but risk a wall hitting hour for the last 10k?
    Or got out at 7:20 ish and see if I can pick the pace (its a long way) toward the end assuming I'm feeling ok????
    If you can pace it well enough, try running the first half for 1.35-1.40 and see how you feel second half for a negative split. Your lack of long runs could be a bit of a problem but it all depends how you feel on the day. Good luck!

undercover moderator

Get to 21 miles at 3hr pace, and then die on your arse.

That's what I did in my one marathon thing, and I am better for the experience. Twitch.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Calf View Post

Now here's the but!

you need to carbo load big style this week mate
    i think your on for sub 3hr
    remember you have good crowds at london that help
    your half and 10 k times are very close to mine mate
    i think you need to be 1.25 form the half , then get to 20miles and take it from there
    but its basically down to you
    good luck
    and think lots about after the marathon , dont injure yourself chasing sub 3 hrs and then not being able to run for months after, lots do this and never run again
    yeah sub 3 hr is nice and i got a bit obsessed with it but dont bother now, i might have a go but 3.15, 3.20 are all good times, id sooner run in the hills
    but have a great run mate
    daz

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Get to 21 miles at 3hr pace, and then die on your arse.

That's what I did in my one marathon thing, and I am better for the experience. Twitch.
    what you sat down on the course , hmm not sure thats normal behavior

my first marathon 3hrs 28, i never did a run more than 15miles and staggered in like a drunk and had to be held up by the marshals

Reading your posts over the last months i presumed you would easily be a sub 3 hour runner and i'm sure you will prove me correct.
    Just eat well, rest well, train light and mentally prepare yourself for Sunday.

Don't think theres much chance of us meeting up on the day, or even trying really - I like to get away from the finish area before it fills up.

Enjoy the race if you can. And more especially enjoy the rest of the day, you will get special treatment wherever you go in London so wear the medal and carry the bag. (I got free cakes in a swanky Knightsbridge tea shop one year)
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Don't risk the energy drinks on the course if you haven't tried them before - at 18 miles it's the wrong time to find out that glucomax-zap (or whatever it is) doesn't agree with you. Training partner of mine got caught out doing this - probably cost him a GB vest. Drink little and often start to drink before you need it - it's no point shovelling water down your neck when your dehydrated - your body won't absorb it quickly enough.

Don't panic in the first mile if you're caught in the crowds at the start. If you lose a few seconds off your schedule in the first mile, don't sprint the second mile to get back on track. Equally stick to your own schedule, and don't get caught up with what others are doing. Marathons more than any other race are solo time trials in my book.