Thread: Starting out with fitness

Starting out with fitness

Started running a month or so ago, trying to lose some flab off the tum that's been hanging around for a few years.

I'd usually be on the MTB, I've brought a decent level of base fitness from that, the daily bike commute keeps me ticking over at 90'ish miles a week.

I like to keep the running off road as much as possible to make it interesting,
    I've just been running as far as possible when I have the time just to see what happens, 22mile last week, 26 yesterday over 4hrs'ish,

I'd like to start something more structured and get some off-road races under my belt next year,maybe a few mountains marathons or something, thing is all I can find is long distance training guides that start with 1 minute walk / 1 minute run and build up over months and months, is there anything about for people with a bit of fitness already?

Or just doing a long run on the weekend with a couple of faster 10mile in the week?
    Last edited by Taylor; 22-11-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Re: Starting out with fitness

I came into fell running from a similar background to you about 6 months ago, i just decided to get involved and suck it and see. With hindsight i should have been more aware of injury creeping up on me, which it did and i'm now back to square one more or less. For newcomers who have good fitness the ability to navigate is probably more important, i came in with this but i'd encourage you to learn if you don't already know how to use a map and compass.

Training wise i don't have a lot to offer you by way of advice other than to focus on stability and leg alignment drills, and to prepare your quads for a real bashing. If you suffer from ITB problems take steps to get rid of them as fell running will aggravate them badly and a lot of folk on here suffer from variations of ITBS...including me.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Did you just say.....you started running a month ago....and ran 26m y'day?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Did you just say.....you started running a month ago....and ran 26m y'day?
    I noticed that, i thought he meant to say 26m last week
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Thanks for the comments Brightside, I'll keep an eye on things, noticed the effect of the miles a lot more than the longer MTB rides.

I need to spend some time with the compass, coming from heavily used Bridleways to non-exsistant footpaths is a bit of a shock!

Yeah 26m yesterday, built up from a couple of weeks ago 10 then 22 then yesterdays run, was a good morning out! I'd usually ride 50/60 on the MTB on a good day so I'm kind of used to being out in the rain for a while.

So yeah just looking to put some structure into it through the week, rather than just running loads on a Saturday.