Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O-shoes for fell running ?

Question O-shoes for fell running ?

I ran yesterday on the North Downs in my Orienteering shoes as these have the little metal studs protruding from the rubber ones as conditions were very muddy...

I'm hoping Santa will bring me some Mudclaws for Xmas, but in the meantime was considering running fell-races in my O shoes - does anyone else do this ? What are the pros / cons ?
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Re: O-shoes for fell running ?

For a steep grassy course they offer far better grip than virtualy any fell shoes. I regularly use them for the short south Wales fell races. They can be hard on the soles of the feet if there is a lot of rock or hard surface on a long race. The main drawback is weight they are considerably heavier than a good set of fell shoes as they are designed to withstand a lot of abuse on the uppers for brambles and the like. People contemplating winter rounds should be looking at them because just being able to ignore sheet ice is realy nice.

Banned

The OROC 280 will be a fantastic fell shoe for greasy rock, icy & wet conditions.
    The sole is a dual compound( sticky & endurance rubber) and has tungsten carbide metal dobs( similar to the spikes used on winter tyres)

Any photos of this shoe?

I found photos on an hungarian site, OROC 280 looks like a x-talon with metal dobs:
    http://www.silva.hu/termek.php?id=1515

and OROC 340:
    http://www.silva.hu/termek.php?id=1512

and the OROC 350 with the lace guard:
    http://www.silva.hu/termek.php?id=1344

Great, thanks all.

My next race is the Cardington Cracker in Shropshire, which I believe is predominantly grassy, so I think I will use my O shoes for this as I've been struggling in my Roclite 315s in these very wet conditions.

Still waiting with fingers crossed for a pair of Mudclaws from Santa though
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Fellhound

So how come we need to go to a Hungarian site to get pics of the Inov-8 O shoes??

They look impressive but the previous Inov-8 model with metal dobs had problems with the dobs falling out.

I still think the traditional Scandinavian makes, like Jalas, Olway, VJ etc are a better bet - at least until these Inov-8 offerings are proven.

Banned

Ok heres the marketing blurb.

Exclusive to all our orienteering shoes is the patent-pending oroc™ outsole featuring tungsten carbide metal dobs, dual density rubber and the Protec-Shank™. which is found on all three of inov-8’s new orienteering shoes. The award winning features include mushroom shaped dobs that are surrounded by hardened dual density rubber within the oroc™ outsole. This dual density rubber prevents the dobs from being ripped out (in over 1 year of testing this has never happened) while the softer, sticky rubber provides superb grip on rock. Protecting the foot from the impact of the studs is the Protec-Shank™, which feature independently moving, flexible fingers of support that absorb impact above each dob yet still allow the shoe to flex, mimicking the natural running action of the foot.

oroc™ 280 – The World’s lightest Orienteering Shoe

The oroc™ 280 offers an incredible fusion of low weight, superb traction and maximum breathability. It is a performance racing shoe designed to make the difference when every second counts. The microfibre tongue ensures that the shoes remain comfortable even when laced tightly and provides additional protection from dirt and debris. The uppers are made from the same material as the World Championship winning x-talon™ 212 are do not absorb any water, which means the oroc™ 280 remains light and fast regardless of the underfoot conditions. Capable of producing winning splits in all types of terrain, the 2 Arrow Shoc-Zone™ under foot protection provides instant proprioceptive response to changes in ground type and aspect.

oroc™ 340 – Comfort Orienteering Trainer/Racer

Taking the principles of low weight, superb traction and maximum breathability from the OROC™ 280, the OROC™ 340 is beefed up with additional padding to improve comfort and a more substantial rand to provide increased levels of protection and durability. The OROC™ 340 is perfect for classic races, long training sessions and for any orienteer looking for more comfort than is offered by traditional O shoes.

oroc™ 350 - Winter Orienteering Trainer/Racer

With 3 Arrow Shoc-Zone™ under foot protection and our wider comfort fit, the OROC™ 350 completes this range of orienteering footwear and with different levels of cushioning. The Velcro sealing lace guard provides enhanced protection from dirt and debris and prevents the laces freezing together when used in winter conditions. Perfect for those cold Scandinavian mornings… and afternoons! The additional 1 Arrow Shoc-Zone™ under foot protection over the oroc™ 280 and 340 mean that the oroc™ 350 is better suited to heavier orienteers running on harder ground, who want greater levels of comfort.

Super Moderator

You've got to say young scottie baistow is blooming good at writing sales blurb!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    You've got to say young scottie baistow is blooming good at writing sales blurb!
    He a natural eh