Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cumbrian Flood Fund

Cumbrian Flood Fund

Apologies if this has appeared elsewhere recently;
    A fundraising site has been set up to benefit those individuals and families caught up in the once in a thousand years deluge ...

www.thecumbriafoundation.org

thankyou

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Cumbrian Flood Fund

Was over there yesterday, having battled my way over to the Ferryhouse in Far Sawrey, opposite Bowness. Looked pretty bad even in the South Lakes. The people we were visiting were showing us where the water had been, their preparations just in case and how close they'd been to inundation. Very lucky folks.

Tell you what, usually feel pretty fed up being deep in the heart of The Machine, working for an insurance company, but over the last few days seeing us in action, it's made me feel a little bit of pride in my emloyer.

Seen some real horor stories come through. Hope none of you are too badly affected ('Cockermouth?'?) and if you are you're back on your feet soon.

And those of you out there without insurance: get some!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Whilst I have every sympathy with those families who have suffered because of this, especially that of the poor policeman who died, I always have a little difficulty with this sort of fund raising. It is of course everyone's own individual right to choose what to do with their own money, but I feel that there are far more deserving charities who could save lives with that money in other poorer parts of the world rather than spend it on my neighbours here in Cumbria. I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me mind you.

p.s. the link didn't seem to be working when I tried it last.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

When the Government give a whole region less than one bankers personal bonus, you know the contempt they hold you in
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Pops head through door......

http://bnp.org.uk/2009/11/british-pe...-in-same-week/

....and runs !

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders rambler View Post
    Pops head through door......

http://bnp.org.uk/2009/11/british-pe...-in-same-week/

....and runs !
    C'mon RR, you can do better than let a racist bigot do your talking for you.

C'mon RR, you can do better than let a racist bigot do your talking for you.
    Just thought i'd throw some facts in.Source of the facts is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders rambler View Post
    Just thought i'd throw some facts in.Source of the facts is irrelevant.
    Now you know that just isn't true. The BNP are going to select the facts that suit their standpoint. They may well be true, but they certainly aren't all of the relevent ones, and certainly aren't balanced.

The million quid handout is just a headline for the papers. That single bridge wont be rebuilt for less than a million quid, and there will be plenty of money coming in to sort this all out. So to think we are hard done to in this respect isn't an argument I can agrree with.

Now you know that just isn't true. The BNP are going to select the facts that suit their standpoint. They may well be true, but they certainly aren't all of the relevent ones, and certainly aren't balanced.

The million quid handout is just a headline for the papers. That single bridge wont be rebuilt for less than a million quid, and there will be plenty of money coming in to sort this all out. So to think we are hard done to in this respect isn't an argument I can agrree with.
    I agree facts can be twisted.How do you know that the 1m figure doesn't include some bridge building etc ?
    Also a fact some people need to remember is that any money from the government is money we have given them in taxes.In other words all they are doing is giving tax payers money back.This is the job of government.Giving other countries tax payers money is giving it away.

If an RO accepted your race entry fee and gave the entry to someone else you would be pi$$ed off,right ?

Whilst I share HH's reluctance to give in these situations, I disagree with his thrust.
    These people are UK citizens and tax payers and this is what we have the Welfare State for, to help each other in this land of ours.

The Government should be doing their utmost with our taxes (or what little is left of them) to support the people of Cumbria.

Of course more money will be spent, but when you hear them announce this initial headline £1 Million it seems an insult - and it allows the likes of the BNP to make such points and seem credible.

Why do they have to give a figure?

Just tell us all that all the States effort will be put behind these people being back to normal as quickly as possible.

The target should be to have everyone back to normal for Xmas, and the infrastructure rebuilding completed by the end of next year.

I don't hold out much hope. Long Lane on the border of Blackburn and Chorley next to the River Darwen has had a Lancashire County Council poster next to a "bomb crater" since January 2008 telling us to be careful for the next month.
    The hole is now more eroded and more dangerous.