Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Garmin Forerunner 305

Re: Garmin Forerunner 305

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Thanks for that, sounds like I am better off using sports Tracks rather than the Garmin software. Would I have to install the Garmin software at all in order to transfer watch data to Sports Tracks or would my PC allow a file transfer from the watch to the desktop and then to Sports Tracks?
    You can either download directly from the watch to SportTracks or SportTracks will import Garmin Training Centre History files (although I can't quite remember how I did it it wasn't difficult)

I also have about two years' Polar files that I don't know how to transfer.

So you;ll be able to tell me which is better as a training log - polar or garmin?

I prefer the Garmin with SportTracks but that is mainly because it records where I have been as well as how far, how fast, etc.

The watch shows more during a run. Time, Time of Day, Miles, Elevation, Time This Lap, Time Last Lap, Pace This Lap, Pace Last Lap, Ave Pace.

The Virtual Training Partner allows you to race a previous time on a route.

I am pretty well sold on it - I don't have the version with the HR Monitor because I got little value from the Polar one but it depends on how you train and what you want from a session.

Ok, well I use the heart rate function for a nubmer of reasons - it give your calories burned, which is very useful as a measure of how hard your'e training over a period of time, and once you know what your heart does you cna get a good indication of fitness, if you've gone off too hard in a race etc.

My next question:

My watch came with Polar Precision Performance Software. My friends new polar watch only has the online training calendar software, I lent her my CD and got the proper software all set up, but her watch isn't listed in the SonicLink options box and when I transfer data into it it doesn't record things properly.

It does transfer data to the polar website easy enough tho. So, does anyone know how to get around this problem and get the info off the watch as a polar file, rather than just upload it to the web?

Sorry if thats a bit too technical!

Middle of January i see Sweatshop offering a 305 for £200 and as ive got a few vouchers from prizes, along with a cheque i send off for one.
    Nothing happens but my cheque isnt cashed so i'm not overly bothered, just hoping i havnt lost my vouchers.

Today i emailed to see what the crack was.

theyve got my vouchers and cheque there at the depot along with my Garmin waiting to be despatched......

All they need to know is where I live.

Doh.

So ill have it soon and be able to start asking you all loads of stuff about it.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Nice work! I managed to find one as cheap as £145 delivered in eBay this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravymuncher View Post
    Ok, well I use the heart rate function for a nubmer of reasons - it give your calories burned, which is very useful as a measure of how hard your'e training over a period of time, and once you know what your heart does you cna get a good indication of fitness, if you've gone off too hard in a race etc.

My next question:

My watch came with Polar Precision Performance Software. My friends new polar watch only has the online training calendar software, I lent her my CD and got the proper software all set up, but her watch isn't listed in the SonicLink options box and when I transfer data into it it doesn't record things properly.

It does transfer data to the polar website easy enough tho. So, does anyone know how to get around this problem and get the info off the watch as a polar file, rather than just upload it to the web?

Sorry if thats a bit too technical!
    Have you tried the IR link?

Which Polar watch is it?

Its the RS200sd, which only has SonicLink. IR was my first through, but it doens't have IR out.

It seems like Polar are either trying to shift everyone's training data to the web - for market research purposes???? - or they want to restrict the PPP Software to only the really expensive watches, thoughI don't know that they ship it with those watches anymore or not?

This is what HeartRateMonitors.co.uk have to say

"User is able to manage an online training diary on Polar's own fitness training website. Summary data is stored per session, i.e max, min, time in zones, distance etc. It is not a full time versus heart rate graph like you get with the S625x or S610i and it is NOT downloaded to your local PC. Visit www.polar.fi for details. Download interface is a standard PC microphone and soundcard, not supplied."

Don't suppose anyone has the .qed file (elevation data 1:25,000) for the Memory Maps West Pennine area. I have the .qct file but can't find the other one...........?