Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers a waste of space?

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Teachers a waste of space?

As some of you will know, my more contentious posts are encouraged by Brett whose company oversees the forum . I was originally approached to "shake the forum up a bit as its a bit boring at the mo" Which I have duly done over the last couple of years.

Brett approached me last night with a similar request, suggesting i expand on the theme of teachers, something alluded to on the erosion thread yesterday, I am not sure what he has against them.

Instead of picking a specific issue i.e illiteracy amongst children and who is to blame and as I am short of inspiration of this (and have no real feelings either way and most teachers I know are ok, Millipede for example) I thought it easier to ask if anyone wants express an opinion about or comment on teachers feel free to post.

You might want to comment on why so many are fell runners, their excessive holidays. Their pay (often more than other essential services such as police, fire etc) and that they often manage to holiday abroad despite claiming they have a lack of it.

There is of course the issue that some feel that the youth of today are badly behaved and apparently poorly educated and that some teachers shift the blame onto parents instead of taking responsibility. That teachers have new tools such as the citizenship module to address these issues but don't know how to use it effectively - I don't know anything.

You may even have good things to say about them. (But Brett couldn't think of any).

However if you have strong feelings about this thread and its appropriateness can you please address general abuse, death threats or even congratulations directly to Brett, either by a pm or by emailing [email protected]. At this stage I am unwilling to give out his mobile number.

Re: Teachers a waste of space?

I'd suggest closing this thread down straight away. It's not clever, and if this forum's going to turn into a Daily Mail clone I'll be leaving it. And no, I'm not a teacher.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

This is obviously a troll. We make quite enough trouble ourselves thank you. I mean just look at Christopher Le.......... ............. ..

Oh, no. Surely not???!!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I absolutely hate "argument" threads and actually like one or two teachers . Lets keep it humourous then (at teachers expence of course).

The only problem, sorry problems, that I can think of with teachers are:

1. Why do so many of them have stupid surnames? Presumably you have to be vetted for your stupid surnamedness before being accepted into teacher training?

2. Things may have changed since I was at school, but an awful lot of teachers seem to suffer from weird ailments; eye patches, bits of metal lodged in their heads, funny limps, cracked and sellotaped up spectacles. Why is this?

3. Teachers absolutely adore bureaucracy in all its forms; my youngest daughter is dragged before the beak regularly for wearing a smart but pleated skirt rather than the enforced version. She was also fantastically put on a lunchtime detention for not handing in homework on time but then pardoned for reminding the teacher that she had indeed handed in the work; unfortunately her name was by then 'on the system' and she got asked to attend a detention for not attending detention, which she of course didn't attend, and then put on a detention for not attending detention for nor attending detention. Still with me?
    Last edited by Stolly; 02-12-2009 at 11:44 AM.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly
    1. Why do so many of them have stupid surnames? Presumably you have to be vetted for your stupid surnamedness before being accepted into teacher training?
    Someone I used to work with left to start teaching. I kid you not, his surname was Fiddler.

I think he was going into secondary teaching. He's not been heard of since. God rest his soul.

P.S. This really isn't a joke.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Someone I used to work with left to start teaching. I kid you not, his surname was Fiddler.

I think he was going into secondary teaching. He's not been heard of since. God rest his soul.

P.S. This really isn't a joke.
    My history teacher was called Fiddler. He was a right c**t and his nickname was Adolf.

Adolf Fiddler - get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    I'd suggest closing this thread down straight away. It's not clever, and if this forum's going to turn into a Daily Mail clone I'll be leaving it. And no, I'm not a teacher.
    Bye then

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    My history teacher was called Fiddler. He was a right c**t and his nickname was Adolf.

Adolf Fiddler - get it?
    Very good. I was thinking more along the lines of 'Kiddy' Fiddler. Which would have no doubt been this guy's nickname within minutes of starting his first day. This was my immediate reaction when he first told me.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    Bye then
    So are you implying you are actively trying to stir up intolerance with this thread? That's what it reads like to me, unlike all the other threads you've been starting, which all looked like good wind-ups. I'm all in favour of the latter, but this one worries me.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    So are you implying you are actively trying to stir up intolerance with this thread? That's what it reads like to me, unlike all the other threads you've been starting, which all looked like good wind-ups. I'm all in favour of the latter, but this one worries me.
    No I am implying you are entitled to your opinion and to make your own choices.