Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to train for fell running

How to train for fell running

I do some trail running with some moderately steep hills, and I would like to try some fell running too. I always run solo, so have no-one to advise me. I've been looking for books or training plans for fell running but can't find anything suitable. As I'm fast approaching 50, and no athlete, I need to be sensible about it. How often can you safely do hill training, and what other forms of training do you do (such as road/trail running, or cross training?) I'd be grateful if someone could advise me or point me in the direction of some good training plans or books on the subject. Thanks

Liz

Feet in the Cowclaps

Re: How to train for fell runn

Quote Originally Posted by LizMint View Post
    I'd be grateful if someone could advise me or point me in the direction of some good training plans or books on the subject. Thanks

Liz
    Hi Liz.
    Welcome to the forum.

This is one of the best books you could read about training.

Hi Liz - Welcome to the forum!

I took up fell-running 3 years ago aged 42
    I almost always run solo too
    I honestly don't think there are any "tricks" to it - just find some hills and build up distance/ascent/speed and try rougher and rougher terrain
    I'm rubbish but keen, and have got progressively (albeit slowly) better and have loved every minute of it

just get stuck in!
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

I reckon this has a lot of really useful information in it:

as it advises a cautious approach to hill work, which is in line with your post.

Si

edit: just noticed it's out of stock though.

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    I'm rubbish
    Take no notice of Daft Pony Daz, this part of his post is rubbish, if your out there running up and down hills your a winner
    Everything else he says is reet, welcome to the forum
    Hills and Guinness!

Just build it up steadily, listen to your body and do as little or as much as you want, as you can see, you'll get loads of advice off friendly folk on here
    Hills and Guinness!

Just run. Any off road running is good prep for fells. There is an element of fellrunning that can be a bit technical and that's mostly to do with foot placements like which stone will rock and when to wade and when to jump etc. You'll develop a nouse about such things the more you get on the hills, but I find trogging along a wild (though flat) river bank contrbutes to this. I'm finding though that I lose out in races because where I live is flat so I've got to seek out some hills to climb to get that part of the game sorted.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Hi Liz,

welcome to the forum...they don't all bite

Are you happy running solo and wanting to keep that as such? If you let us know where you are based there will be lots of people that can suggest routes (other than trails if it's fells you're after) or will meet up for muddy boggy peaty fun if that's what you want?

The best way, as already stated, is to get out there, take it steady and enjoy it

Wow, fantastic response - thanks everyone! I've ordered both books recommended because they both looked like they'd be helpful. The reason I'm so cautious is because when I started trail running on hillier terrain, I was plagued with shin splints and had to stop running altogether for a while. I don't want a repeat of that. I live in the South Lakes, so I've no shortage of hills, but finding somewhere flat to run is a real problem! I only do hilly sessions a couple of times a week at the moment, but these involve some really steep rough sections akin to fell running, so moving on to fell running seems like a natural progression. I might try and get another hilly session in there when/if I know my legs can stand it.

DazTheSlug - I bet I'm a whole lot more rubbish than you.
    Emmilou - I think I am happy solo at the moment, but will keep in mind your offer - thanks.

Liz

Hi Liz, welcome to the Forum.
    Depending on where you are in the South Lakes the tow-path along the Kendal-Lancaster Canal is a great option if you're looking for really flat, off-road running.

I'm way past 50 now and making big efforts to get on the come-back trail after a long time out of the sport. I've found that I just don't recover if I try to do too many hilly sessions in a week and usually end up demoralised and prone to catching bugs. Running on the tow-path gives me the opportunity to put in the session that I want: fast, slow, intervals etc on a soft surface but with virtually no hills.

I usually park up in the lay-by near the Hideaway Cafe on the A65 (about 500m East of M6 Junction 36). From there you can go either South towards Carnforth (Tewitfield and back is about half-marathon distance and a total delight) or North back towards Kendal (still flat for a while but not so pretty as they've drained the canal beyond Stainton). If you want to add some hills then the Limestone Link bridleway will take you up onto Farleton Knott and the Hutton Roof fell race route.

At the moment it's pretty muddy, but nothing like as muddy as the local fells. Give me a shout if you decide to visit and need any further direction. Enjoy!
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners