Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night time naughty trespassing

Night time naughty trespassing

Whilst reading elsewhere, of which shall remain nameless.....it mentioned something about leaving the standard public footpaths that you have to stick to in the daylight but you can get away with being a bit sneaky and running where you shouldn’t under the cover of darkness.

Now, ive only run off-road in the dark a few times and ive never left the footpath...it never occurred to me that i could get away with exploring where i shouldn’t.......even if i had thought of it i think my guilt conscious wouldn’t let me.

But thinking about it, i could make my 4 miles local loop into 90% off road rather than about 40% of it being on a rural roads linking one field to another.
    Whether I’d try it would depend on how sneaky I was feeling….and which game keeper or farmer owns the field

So have any of you dared leave the footpath.....im off to set up the guillotine.

Re: Night time naughty trespas

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Whilst reading elsewhere, of which shall remain nameless.....it mentioned something about leaving the standard public footpaths that you have to stick to in the daylight but you can get away with being a bit sneaky and running where you shouldn’t under the cover of darkness.

Now, ive only run off-road in the dark a few times and ive never left the footpath...it never occurred to me that i could get away with exploring where i shouldn’t.......even if i had thought of it i think my guilt conscious wouldn’t let me.

But thinking about it, i could make my 4 miles local loop into 90% off road rather than about 40% of it being on a rural roads linking one field to another.
    Whether I’d try it would depend on how sneaky I was feeling….and which game keeper or farmer owns the field

So have any of you dared leave the footpath.....im off to set up the guillotine.
    Well from my experience where I grew up, I walked/ran wherever I wanted, across many farmers fields. Never really had any trouble, and this was 99% of the time in daylight. Of course I respected certain fields that had crops growing in them, or cattle that might be dangerous / easily spooked.

At the very most if a farmer 'caught' you if I can use such a word, they can only ask you to revert back to the footpaths or say crack on lad! The usual, I'm lost, or I thought there was a path here always works as well.

I'd be surprised if you have any problems day or night though.

It's called 'cheeky' in the mtb world.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    It's called 'cheeky' in the mtb world.
    Aye, and like most 'naughty' night-time activities, the less said the more chance you have of getting away with it
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    Well from my experience where I grew up, I walked/ran wherever I wanted, across many farmers fields. Never really had any trouble, and this was 99% of the time in daylight. Of course I respected certain fields that had crops growing in them, or cattle that might be dangerous / easily spooked.

At the very most if a farmer 'caught' you if I can use such a word, they can only ask you to revert back to the footpaths or say crack on lad! The usual, I'm lost, or I thought there was a path here always works as well.

I'd be surprised if you have any problems day or night though.
    The im lost thing would be a good call...although it would only work once wouldnt it.
    The game-keepers are really fussy round near me and i dont think i'd dare nip across some of the fields owned by the local estate up a couple of miles away - i get funny looks from then when im sticking to the footpaths!!!

Whilst i was running today i was looking at a few places i'd like to 'explore'....maybe i should get up early one day in the spring when i comes light early and have a look - atleast then i'd be able to see the things rather than not be able to see anything in the darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Aye, and like most 'naughty' night-time activities, the less said the more chance you have of getting away with it
    and...if you run fast enough....the wont catch you.

Just have to watch you dont castrate yourself jumping over hedges or barbed wire.
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 07-12-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Super Moderator

We've been out headtorching most Wednesdays for last three years and it's rare (and disappointing!) if we don't get lost at least once or twice Worse thing that's happened is we've missed the free food occasionally
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Presume this is a wind up on a public forum. Either way, just don't aggrevate any land managers, especially those with whom our race organisers have to negotiate access, they've a hard enough job as it is.
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Presume this is a wind up on a public forum. Either way, just don't aggrevate any land managers, especially those with whom our race organisers have to negotiate access, they've a hard enough job as it is.
    No this was a serious post.

I wasnt suggesting that im going to start romping round everywhere i please either.

...but wouldn't you draw *more* attention to yourself at night with a headtorch than in the day?