Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night time naughty trespassing

Re: Night time naughty trespas

Quote Originally Posted by idler View Post
    ...but wouldn't you draw *more* attention to yourself at night with a headtorch than in the day?
    Exactly.
    You'd have to run with it off. Unless its a full moon your not going to be able to see a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    No this was a serious post.

I wasnt suggesting that im going to start romping round everywhere i please either.
    Just be sensible out there Al - as I'm sure you will

Thank goodness we don't have this problem in Scotland. As long as you respect the property, close gates and avoid if there is shooting going on you've got the right run on any bit of land (obviously within reason). I always get in trouble when I visit the inlaws down south for running across ground which I shouldn't be on . I always apologies and go as quick as possible . Its such a clash of attitudes as in Scotland we are always taught from a young age there is "no trespassing" (I understand its not strictly correct) yet some landowners are so touchy about it and have such aggressive dogs!

There is nothing more annoying than getting genuinely lost then being in trouble for asking directions of how to get off somebodies property. One lady didn't take kindly to me when I pointed out that I would be off her land quicker if she stopped giving out to me and helped me instead. I honestly think in England you should start a campaign to broaden your right to roam (please don't take this as a Scottish rant about how much better things are up here- as I say my wife is English and I'll be supporting them in the world cup). Saying all this I have been helped out on numerous occasions by kind folks when lost and offered drinks lift etc- its just the nasty people always stick in the mind longer.

As regards going where your not supposed to at night I say f**k it- go for it!
    Last edited by AndyG; 07-12-2009 at 10:29 PM.

If you have been using a route for over twenty years without being challenged then it is a "deemed dedication" and becomes a public right of way.

I often wonder if I could use my old training logs to demonstrate that I have been using areas around felds for more than twenty years and therefore they should be classified as public rights of way.

The landowner would need to prove that thay had written to me asking me to avoid trespassing over their land.

Many of the fields where I now live have a three metre boundary between teh hedge and the cultivated ground. I have met and asked a few farmers and landowners if they would object to me using these areas for running (and cycling) and I have always received a friendly response.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    I say my wife is English and I'll be supporting them in the world cup
    You would be far better supporting Scotland in the World Cup.. then you would get all the time you want to go out running.
    Last edited by XRunner; 08-12-2009 at 12:48 PM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Al, my family owns some land and a cottage above Brough, there's an old quarry and cliffs at the top of the field which climbers love. We let them come and go as they please as long as they shut the gates, some will camp out too. I met the guy who owns the land that Spout Level (cam pasture Lead Mines) is on in Wharfedale a while back, i had technically trespassed to climb the tip to check the condition of the portal and left my map there. I was glad i had met him because it gave me the chance to ask his permission to go back to explore the workings, he was delighted i was taking an interest in investigating and recording the old lead mines and told me i could even get rid of the old iron gate if i wanted. He suggested i contact English Heritage with my information but there's a couple of other groups who do this seriously so i didn't bother, top guy though.

Then there was the time when we were kids and we approached a local farmer for permission to shoot, he ripped my bagged rifle out of my hand and tried to wrap it round my head before launching it down the road and generally going psycho on us for asking. I've been warned before about farmers who will shoot with rice in their cartidges at anyone who 'walks on' and they weren't joking, do be careful as the brighter your headtorch is the more you look like you're lamping rabbits.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent