Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calcific Tendonitis

Calcific Tendonitis

I've been suffering a bit with a bad shoulder and yesterday i took a fall coming off Dale Head and landed on my shoulder. I was in pain with it last night, along with my ribs. So i decided this morning that i'd better get it checked out at A&E.

I had an x-ray and the doctor told me that nothing was broken and that i had Calcific Tendonitis, that i should book an appointment to see my doctor and he will inject it and he put my arm in a sling an sent me home.

Can anyone tell me anymore about Calcific Tendonitis?

Am i ok to run? and when i get it injected will i have to rest it?

I'm a graphic designer I'm right handed and it's my right shoulder!!

So any help would be usefull.

Master and MR

Re: Calcific Tendonitis

its a calcium build up hopey in your shoulder
    but why has he said its that if its just come on after a fall, strange
    yes i would have thought you can run if its not to painfull

cheers Daz

I've had a bad shoulder for a few years now and just put it down to breaking my collar bone as a baby, so i never bothered seeing anyone about it, but it has got a lot worse these past few months, to the point that i'm struggling to use that arm.

I felt at the weekend and landed on it causing more pain in th shoulder, as well as pain in thribs (which are just bruised). The calacfic tendonitis showed up on the x ray.

If i get the doc to inject it will i have to rest the shoulder? Just don't want it clashing with the Anniversary Waltz

Damm this is hard work typing with just your left hand

Great the doctor that does the injections at the surgery that I registered to is on holiday and no one else can do it.

And he's no appointments for next week.

Odd - the doctor on Radio 4 (Mark Porter) the other day said that slings were right out now - they preferred you to keep using the arm!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Odd - the doctor on Radio 4 (Mark Porter) the other day said that slings were right out now - they preferred you to keep using the arm!
    The sling is just to take pressure off my shoulder to ease the pain until I can get a doctor to inject it.

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    The sling is just to take pressure off my shoulder to ease the pain until I can get a doctor to inject it.
    Perhaps Mark Porter's a sadist? ;-)

Seriously, I think he said that it was considered important to keep the arm moving to stop the shoulder muscles from wasting. Mind you, that depends on how much pain you're in, and how long you plan keeping the sling on for!

I'll ask my wife - she's a vet ;-)

I'm taking the arm out the sling when at work so I can work, but still trying to rest the shoulder as much as I can.

ha ha thanks Joe, if I'd seen a vet I would have probably been told it's best to put me down

Hi Hopey,

If it were my shoulder I'd want to know what the doc was going to inject it with and what is the desired effect. I don't know of an injection that will take away the calcium deposit, so presumably it will simply be a pain releiving effect which will alow you to get it moving again. This might be a decent short term solution but not a cure. Ask what the long term picture is and also for a referal to an orthopaedic surgeon (won't necessarily operate but will be the expert in this area I'd imagine). If my income depended on having a well functioning right arm I wouldn't want my GP responsible for it!

Good luck
    Good luck
    I only run so I can eat cake Oh...and drink cider

Cheers for that, I think thats a very good point.

Thanks