Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Calder Valley Round

Re: Calder Valley Round

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    Yes good to have you along - good traning for the Over The Hill series eh!
    And the Hebden. By the way the GR for checkpoint 1 at Old Town is wrong in the online description: you've put the White Lion's GR in by mistake.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    By the way the GR for checkpoint 1 at Old Town is wrong in the online description: you've put the White Lion's GR in by mistake.
    Yes Multiterrainer has mentioned that above - I will get it corrected - let me know if you spot anything else.
    I have kept the route description down to a minimum otherwise you could spend more time reading than running. Most of it's straight forward but the odd bit might need tweaking.

Yes Multiterrainer has mentioned that above
    Perhaps I should read the whole thread next time I'll be there on the 3rd unless I can't get over Summit due to snowdrifts (wishful thinking there).
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

MM - quite like the look of this one, but can't make the Jan.3rd recce as doing a flat road HalfM@r@ that day

[btw are we telling anybody about our pre-crimbo jaunt? ]
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

[QUOTE=DazTheSlug;286467]MM - quite like the look of this one, but can't make the Jan.3rd recce as doing a flat road HalfM@r@ that day

I will probably go round it again in the Spring, although you can, of course, do it anytime. It might be useful to get some feedback on the route description by someone who does not know the area.

To help get things off the ground I will be leading 2 or 3 runs during the year.
    The first will be on Sunday 3rd January at 8.30 from the White Lion car park , Mytholmroyd
    The weather is looking good for Sunday - sunny intervals, not much wind - so this will go head as planned. Underfoot conditions will no doubt be a bit sloppy but it will be a good chance to get in some good climbs and recce the route for a good go at those target times later in the year .

What better way to get the festivities out of your system and kick off the new decade

Details Here including a route sheet and directions to get to Mytholmroyd if needed.

I WILL be there for this one - after having been snowed in for the Christmas Wuthering Hike!! I have forward planned and have cunningly parked my car on a main road so cannot get snowed in Settle this time!! Looking forward to it Mountain Man, see you Sunday!!

What a great run out this morning! I nearly couldn't get through to Mytholmroyd as there'd been a big dump of snow overnight & Rochdale was a bit tricky. But the sky was clear & it looked like a good morning was ahead, so I risked it & got over Summit & through to reach the car park by the White Lion at 8:25 - just in time. I half expected nobody to be there but Mountain Man & Sean were getting ready for the off.

We were running on virgin snow for virtually all the 16 miles. It was crystal clear, very cold in the valleys & a bit warmer when we could see the sun - the side valleys don't see much sun in the winter. The snow was generally not deep enough to slow us down much, although it was a bit slippy in a few places. It was deeper up at Blackshawhead and on Stoodley Pike - drifts of up to about a foot in places. A great morning out. And that's most of the Hebden recce'd as well - the Hebden route is based on this one.

Thanks Tony, thanks Sean!
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

I'm saying bloody nothing guys-well done and I already have strict demands on MountainMan to do it again!! It sounds like you had a perfect morning and I am so envious. Hope to do it with you soon. MountainMan-you know I hold you in high esteem (!) and want you to get another one organised!!
    Rachel

Yes Splatcher that was an unexpected treat, your journey back to your "home country" was well rewarded. Certainly a Winter Wonderland version of the route. Not only a superb snow covered lansdscape but most of it runnable as well. I think that must be the best winter day I have had in its 21year history.

Just for the record:

3-36 Splatcher
    3-36 Shaun L Idle AC
    3-36 Mountain Man Idle AC

Pleased you made it OK - perhaps we can all have a another crack at it in the Spring - the wild flowers are just as impressive.
    Last edited by MOUNTAIN MAN; 05-01-2010 at 09:37 PM.